Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before i start let me put on my fire suit because i'll probably get flamed. I'm putting a second gen 4.3L V6 in my 56. Why? Because my 56 had a L6 from the factory and the 4.3 is a 265, just like the original V8. This is going to be a car I'm gonna drive 3 to 4 days a week, not a garage beauty that you just look at and never drive. I don't need 400 horses and 10 mpg. The donor car is a 96 Blazer 4 door 2wd. I'm going to transfer the entire wiring harness, ABS brakes, rear end, OD trans, fuel system and gauges. I've got the engine and trans set in the car already. The question I have is has anybody else here even attempted this? I mean the V6 and ABS brakes.

·
Administrator
49,953 Posts
Can`t say about the ABS brakes, but there is a guy here in town that has a 4.3 V-6 in a 1957 4dr sedan. He also has a 700R trans in it. He says it drives great.
Terry

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
That should make for a very reliable, economical driver. No flame throwing from me!::D

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
When it comes time to fabricate mounts th 4.3 is the same as a V8 but 4.5 inches to the rear...

·
Registered
63 Posts
4.3l swap

hi there the 4.3l motor is a great motor i have had s10's w/4.3l 's in them i have a 1985 S10 with a 91 4.3l conversion with a few ad on's it will make up word's of 350hp there is bolt on super charger's t.b.i spacers under drive pulleys the 4.3l motor is a 350 casting less 2 cylinders i have 1936 g.m.c u/p i was going to put mine in totaled my S10 in 2003 been sitting ever sense . the only part of the a.b.s that you mite have problem with is the wheel sincere's for the front ok hope it helps let me know if i can help i will help much as i can
have good day:anim_25:

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I know a guy that has a 4.3/700R4 in a 1950 chevy slantback sedan, that car hauls butt! Dave

·
Registered
352 Posts
In stock form those 4.3's are great running engines. If you add stuff like good exhaust and intake then you have a real runner.

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,532 Posts
I suggest that you put the engine in where the belhousing flange is with a 3/4" v8 forward setup . this will allow you to use all the stock stuff like fanshroud etc . as far as the abs goes i would avoid it . the prop valving and weight bias are way different from the blazer to the sedan . just put the booster and m/c on and get an adjustable prop valve for the rear . not to mention the wiring issues with the abs. best of luck :happy0030:

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
I had a 4.3 in a 92 GMC Safari and I put 409,XXX miles on it before I replaced it with a crate motor... Can't say I have ever seen one in a trifive... Later, Dave

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Measured spindles today. Trifives are 10" from upper to lower ball joints. Blazer is 6". Darn. Well, maybe i'll just put the discs on. Abs needs the mounting points on the spindles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm in the process of installing a 91 4.3 with 700r4 trans in my 56 right now. I love these little motors, they haul butt and get good mileage doing it. How is your install going ? I can't wait for mine to be on the road.:congrats::anim_25:

·
Registered
63 Posts
cool

I'm in the process of installing a 91 4.3 with 700r4 trans in my 56 right now. I love these little motors, they haul butt and get good mileage doing it. How is your install going ? I can't wait for mine to be on the road.:congrats::anim_25:
sounds cool Wheres the pics

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
A twin turbo 4.3 from a Typhoon or Syclone...sounds awesome man!

Just kidding ;)

You'll definitely have one of the very few V6 tri-5's out there. Good luck with the swap!

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
How about some Pictures
Like to see how you do it . I been want to put a 4.3 in a daily driver.

·
Registered
37,981 Posts
There was a guy on chevytalk 7-8 years ago that did one. He bragged on it a lot, and it was a clean installation. There's no reason it won't work well especially if you have some positive experience with this powertrain in another vehicle.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
If I was going for the V6 it would be the 305.:rolleyes:

Might as well use the big one... :sign0020:
Plenty of low rpm torque to get that heavy trifive rolling...

The 477.7-cubic-inch (7,828 cc) 478 was one of the largest V6 engines ever built. Gross output was 235 hp (175 kW) at 3200 rpm and 440 ft.lbf (597 Nm) at 1400 rpm. Bore was 5.125 in (130.2 mm) and stroke was 3.86 in (98 mm). It was introduced in 1963 in the 6500 series trucks.
It was superseded by the 1966 478M "Magnum" series, and production ended by 1974. Gross output was now 254 hp (189 kW) at 3700 rpm and 442 ft.lbf (599 Nm) at 1400 rpm.

You could go with the 702ci Twin Six but you'd have to move the radiator out on to the bumper...

·
Registered
63 Posts
re 4.3l motor

A twin turbo 4.3 from a Typhoon or Syclone...sounds awesome man!

Just kidding ;)

You'll definitely have one of the very few V6 tri-5's out there. Good luck with the swap!
the typhoon & syclone did not come stock with a twin turbo that would have been nice thanks :blowtiedb:

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
Before i start let me put on my fire suit because i'll probably get flamed. I'm putting a second gen 4.3L V6 in my 56. Why? Because my 56 had a L6 from the factory and the 4.3 is a 265, just like the original V8. This is going to be a car I'm gonna drive 3 to 4 days a week, not a garage beauty that you just look at and never drive. I don't need 400 horses and 10 mpg. The donor car is a 96 Blazer 4 door 2wd. I'm going to transfer the entire wiring harness, ABS brakes, rear end, OD trans, fuel system and gauges. I've got the engine and trans set in the car already. The question I have is has anybody else here even attempted this? I mean the V6 and ABS brakes.
To do the ABS I think you would have to do a front clip or frame swap also. I can;t say much about the 96 blazer but the earlier frames slip fit front to rear so the wheelbase can be changed. The earlier frames are used quite a bit on hotrod conversions. I can;t see why it won;t make a real nice economical cruiser.

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
the 4.3 is a great engine when i get around to is I will be putting one in my wifes 56 project.

I have owned 2 4.3' chevy trucks

1991 s-10 went to 238,000 miles before I sold it.

05 silverado pulled 4,200 lbs with no issues from Tampa FL to Ohio

1 - 20 of 21 Posts