Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would try to upload some pics of my HT which I am trying to get registered.
I have rust in the front 2 floor pans and toe board and inner sills and the center floor brace.
I have a new edelbrock carb on the way and manifold.
Also have to get the wipers and horn working and sort out the indicators.
The plan is it goes in next month for the rust to be sorted and hopefully my seat covers from Ralph`s will be here and I can get it cruising for the summer. Next year I want to upgrade the brakes and the electrics and throw in a after markets heater/ aircon unit to get the old one out of the engine bay.
I will get the car painted and chrome done down the track as I am happy woth how it looks for the time being
Can anybody tell me how strong the 10 bolt diffs are?

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Good stuff, Hope to see some rego plates on her soon.:D

Not sure how strong 10 bolts are but mine has developed a winding noise over the weekend.

·
Registered
132 Posts
what where you up to to get a whine?? :) I really want to got on als poker run next year.....
Ha Haaaa! Once you get it registerd you will find you will have a poker Run every w/end. Keep working on it and you should be ready before the next one comes around. Try to finish off every thing nice and neat as pit inspectors dont like things that look a little rough, (Especially on older cars).

·
Registered
34 Posts
nice car,my wife to be was driving one just like it when we met,i had a 57 four door post,same color, i have a 57 150 now i have owned for 35 years.

68,758 Posts
good looking 57 as is. my sig says how i feel. have fun and enjoy it. thanks for pics. :five:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally got the car back from the rust guy at the end of last week and have got a heap done to it.
Am having a real head ache with the flex plate dust cover for the power glide. I bought a aftermarket item and it didnt even come close to fiting. was very tight on one side of the starter and heaps of rrom on the other side. I cut it out further then had to re drill the 4 holes but once i got it on a tightened down it was hiting the ring gear !
Have I bought a one of bad product or is my powerglide and starter unusal ??
Any help would be apriciated as its doing my head in and I want to be on the road for xmas!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
10 bolt

Is Which 10 bolt strong? 8.5" Yes about like a 12 bolt,8.2" can be. 7.5" street stock only. Stock 1957 also street use mild engine and driver.:anim_25: On the tranny cover First make sure what you have by using the casting numbers on the side of they tranny, should cross reference to year and vehicle. look for vehicle that matches tranny # to get the flex plate cover from. Then you know the bolt holes are right. some starters have thicker bendix heads than others (steel and aluminum)so you may have to grind only to clear starter head. another option if it dont fit remove positive battery cable and two bolts from starter to slide starter clear then fit. if bolt holes line up the two options are trim for starter or change starterhead / starter whichever you prefer. If using the thin sheet metal cover then be sure to treat gently if you force the cover up any at at bending is almost a sure thing and rubbing and noise will follow.:anim_25: My trick to putting on flexplate covers is: I pull my jawbone way over til my bottom lip can cover one side of my mustache cause 90% of the time sheetmetal dust covers do have alot to do with being able to hold your mouth right while holding temper back to gently make minimal adjustments.:happy0030: :rolleyes:If others only knew their expressions, they would be alot less self concious, cause they still wouldn,t quit working on cars. " The mess made getting there makes the results worthwhile":sign0020:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thought I would post a quick update... I got the car registered last thursday :) santa came early

Since the car has come back from the rust repairs which did a heap of work and a first rate job i have spent the last month of my holidays on my back doing a stack which includes
A 600 edelbrock and manifold with lokar has pedal and cable
Fixed up all the exhaust leaks
New suspension bushes ball joint shocks and tie rods
wheel beerinings and did all my brakes up and replaced some cracked rigid lines
alternator conversion which stuffed me around due to a dud voltage reg on a brand new set up
new rear wiring harness and spade type fuse panel with new relays on most of the circuts ( done by a work mate )
new carpet and seats retrimmed with a kit from Ralph Roberts
New power steer pump from steve at authentic automotive.
New control valve and hoses
new engine mounts and water pump
new netrule lock out switch and horn
transmission cooler and lines
Hope I dodnt bore anybody with the list but its been a very productive last month....
I will drive to work tomoz and get a few picks..

·
Registered
448 Posts
Gday ozhardtop congrats thats a great xmas presents (license plates) hope to see you on the street :tu

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Oz, you have been busy and I don't think you bored anyone here. nice car and getting nicer everyday!

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Wow Oz.You got a lot done..:congrats:

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Wow!

Great job Oz!! That was a lot of hard work! Gotta be feeling pretty proud and happy. Good looking 4 Door Hardtop!:congrats:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everybody
absolutly stoked took the car to work today and it went great. loves the motion lotion but oh well.
The engine really responds with the new carb and rebuilt dizzy however i really need to sort the kickdown cable out or put a floor shifter in it and manulise the box fully.
Who can u guys in the states recomend for a complete 9 inch with discs for me ??
I have got a guy over here who does shipping containers regully and sells container space

1 - 20 of 44 Posts