Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

4 door to 2 door seat and I thought he was nuts.

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  mickeywestsr 
#1 ·
Sold a 4 door front seat to a fellow a few months ago said he was going to make it into a 2 door seat. Said he couldn't afford a 2 door seat and I cut him a heck of a deal on the 4 door. Thought to myself good luck with that but he stopped last weekend with it all done and in the car and it looked pretty darn good. Folded back you couldn't tell the difference. Seemed like it folded ahead a little straighter where the 2 door seat turns to the middle some when folded forward but I believe hes on to something. Should have took a picture. Would like to have seen some progress pictures. I guess if there a will theres a way especially with some tools and fabrication skills.

#2 ·
:tu:tu Were there a will there is a way. Too bad you did not get Picture, would nice to see how he did it.

#3 ·
Same here, Ive been pondering the same thing. I think Ive got the center figured out. Just need to come up with a design for the swing arm on the outside that will bolt to the seat back and a pivot point for it on the seat bottom. Sure love to see some pics.

#5 ·
I was going to fab a U bracket for the center welded to the seat bottom with a hole in each end for a rod welded to the bottom of the back after i split it. The problem is you need to make a lazy L bracket that bolts to the outer edge of the seat back (where it bolted to the bottom and a pivot point somewhere forward so the outer edge swings toward the center when you tilt it forward. Simular to the seat backs on 60's regular cab pickups. A pickup seat would also be a good canidate for modification as the swing arm is forward a bit on both sides. Just have to split it.

#6 ·
Did the whole seat-back fold forward
No, it looked just like a 2 door seat. Only thing I noticed (being picky) is that it seemed like there was more space than normal between the two seat backs and the seat backs tilted about straight forward instead of arcing to the center. After I cut him a super deal on the 4 door seat he said he had a little over $150 in the frame ready to go to the upholstery shop. when I questioned how much time he had in it he said his time was free :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.