Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about changing rear springs. In looking at the supplier tables, it appears stock sedans can out with 4 leaf or 5 leaf.
No doubt the 5 leaf were some type heavy duty application, but will they ride much different?
I would prefer a somewhat smooth ride, but would like to keep rear height.
Is ride height similar with no additional load? And were the 5 leaf used to maintain stock height with a heavier load, or will the 5 leaf actually be higher ?

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
4 or 5 leaf should be the same ride height without a load in the rear. The arch of the leaf should be different in the two because one obviously has a higher spring rate. That is, if they're both designed to be stock ride height, they both should be. But, if you put a bunch of stuff in the trunk, obviously the 5 leaf will handle the weight better.

My two cents...the 4 leafs are too cushy, but I like a firm ride. BTW, I have a set of 3" drop 4 leafs for sale, but I had to remove them because they made my car too low.

Here's the ad and I'm just over the Colorado border in Wyoming if you're interested.

http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107121

·
Administrator
66,133 Posts
The 4 leaf will make the car ride like a ship, 5 leaf will be a bit firmer. You could alway install front & rear sway bars to stop the rockin :anim_25:

·
Registered
257 Posts
I just put those imported "stock height for all models" 5 leaf springs from Danchucks in my 55 2door wagon, they seem to ride allright, no telling what the spring rate is though. I have custom springs coming from Eaton Detroit Spring that are 6 leaf and 177 pound rated with one inch lowering. But they are a couple weeks out, I hope it doesn't make it a rigid nightmare but these springs were an option in lots of tri fives, And I figure I want to nail some corners and hit the strip a few times so what the hay.
I should post some pics of the stock 55 five leaf springs I pulled out, they are bent just back from the front eye, and a prior owner had stuffed big strips of cut up inner tube between the ends of the leafs presumably to stop them from squeaking, but the innertube did nothing to prevent the aged springs from letting the car bounce off the bumpstops and bottom out the shackle bushings, I couldn't drive the car for two weeks while getting new shackles,springs,ubolts, new lower spring plates and front spring eye bolts. Lame.
'
I say rock the five leafs, if they are the imported ones like I got from danchucks, they should ride fine.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
McVeigh Truck Springs in Mio , Michigan sells both 4- and 5-leaf springs made on this continent ; their 5-leafs are great in our 55 sedan with normal curb weight and no extra height . The ride is firm but not harsh . McVeigh's customer service is the best too ; they supplied all the springs and bushings for both ends of my 48 GMC too . Be safe...Bob.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
4 or 5 leaf springs

You'll find a number of threads on this topic, including this one.

I put 5 leaf springs on my 55 because I knew there would be times when I would load it up with 6 people and some amount of tail gating gear. I feel the car rides great all the time (empty or loaded) and I'm glad I never have to worry about the rear end riding low.

I'm attaching before and after pictures for the spring swap (both front and rear). I feel that the whole car raised about the same amount with the new springs, maybe just a little more in the rear.

I'd go with the 5 leaf again, probably more confidently than when I made the decision the first time.

Good Luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
I went with 5 leaves on my 56 and it raised it about 1 inch from stock height. Looks good and rides good they came form Ecklers. I would recommend the 5 leaf

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I've got 5 in the back of mine and it rides nice. Doesn't seem stiff at all. And my car is lowered 3 inches right around.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your thoughts, I ordered a set of 5 leaf springs, I'm sure they will be just right!

·
Registered
203 Posts
The original rear 4 leaf springs on my '57 210 were flat and the rear sagged with rear passengers so I just finished replacing them with ("stock height") 5 leaf springs (from Ecklers) and it raised the rear about 3 inches.

Attachments

·
Registered
325 Posts
I installed eckler's *offset ( 3/4" rearward, centers the wheel in the fender ) 5-leafs, stock height. Sits well, but very firm ( too much for me ) maybe due to my purchase of urethane bushings. Even with no sway bar the car barely rolls in curves.

:gba:

·
Registered
363 Posts
As Jeff did, I replaced my 4 leaf springs with the 5 leaf and yes it did raise the back end up considerably, to the extent that I currently have 2-inch lowering blocks installed, but need to take them out and use 1-inch, as that should just give me a slight rake and the look should be ok

1 - 14 of 14 Posts