Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of putting a roll bar in the gasser I am building. Looking at having someone build a four point or Lakewood style bar. This is strictly for a period look, not to pass tech etc. Anyone have a preference over one or the other? I am trying to keep my rear seat, but would like a cross bar to mount a driver鈥檚 harness. The last few days, I have been leaning more towards the 3 point look. Anyone have a Lakewood bar in their car, or a four point? Pics? Pros and cons of the bar? Anyone have an older 3 point for sale? That would make my mind up. 馃槂

Registered
I've had rollbars of some sort in all my gassers, but haven't decided if I'll put one in my '39 or not yet. I did an 8 point in my '63 Falcon, but my old Austin gasser had a bolt in Lakewood 4 point style. Regardless of whether you go 3 point, or 4 point, you'll lose the backseat. It can still be there with a 4 point, but with a crossbar for the shoulder harnesses, nobody could crawl over it to get there except a contortionist. So it would only be there for looks, or tiny kids.
I bend my own up since I was an electrician and still have access to a electric Greenlee bender. I do the main hoop, and then make the back supports travel flat back near the rear window top edge, and then down at an angle through the package shelf, into the trunk.
On my Falcon I made pinned hinged side tubes going forward, so it would be easier getting in and out of the car. Not sure you could do a 3 point and maintain the back seat. And a cross tube to hang the shoulder harness would be OK, but the back brace would be centered on a single hoop so it would go through the backseat.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
You bring up some good points. I spoke with someone this week about putting in a bar for me. He suggested going with at least a 6 point bar and hinging the side struts as you mentioned. He said he could also put the cross brace in using pins so that you could take out and use the back seat as needed. He did say that I may get questioned if I raced the car. He said sometimes techs are funny about something like that even though the car would not be fast enough to technically require a bar.
I have been researching seat belts the last few nights. I have saw where several have used a traditional three point with a roll bar. I might go that route.

Registered
Your friend is correct about tech inspections. My old Austin has a simple 4 point and has 6"x 6" plates bolted in to meet tech. But the tech inspections said it's not the correct rollbar setup if I go too fast. He added that even if I'm under the cutoff speed it wont pass inspection, as they're afraid you'll make improvements and later run faster with a rollbar that's been through tech and didn't pass. So they let me run that day, but said I needed to upgrade to a full cage if I ran again. It's way too tight inside now, with just 42" between inside doors, and a cage would require me to eliminate the passenger bucket and move the driver's seat over. So instead of going 10 miles to race, I drive 80 miles to a non NHRA track that doesn't have the strict guidelines.
I only race once a year, and I prefer my car to remain vintage, so not going to ruin it for street use, just to meet tech for occasional strip use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts