Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be mounting a 400 sbc in my 57. To use the factory bellhousing, I believe I need a 153 tooth flywheel, which is currently produced with the special counter weight for the 400. My question is what starter works? If my memory serves me correctly, I would need a 57 starter that mounts to the bellhousing? I've been out of this for 20 years, and have forgotten. Thanks, Kurt

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,044 Posts
Kurt.....The stock bellhousing takes a 168 tooth flywheel.

You can use a 55-57 starter or a block-mounted starter designed to be used with the 168 tooth flywheel....The bolts on the block-mounted starter will be diagonally across from each other.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I own a '73 400 sb that was in my pink/white Hardtop for several years.

I too used the stock bell housing with a '57 starter on the 400. The '57 starter always turned the 400 over with no problems.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Starter flywheel and bellhousing with 400 sbc

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info! Great, a 168t flywheel works with the stock 57 bellhousing, and I may use the 57 starter with that. Kurt

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I loved the 400 in my '57. It always felt like a decent engine with more horsepower then I was used to.

People told me: "You can change the balancer or the flywheel on these engines. But not both."

I did change both. And I believe this lead to the crank twisting. The engine became so hard to start it got to be more trouble then it was worth.

Had a chance to buy another 400 sb out of the fellow workers '69 Camaro. He offered the complete engine for $600. I found out he sold it for $400.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.