Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 55 BelAir pro street with a 427 cu.in. with a turbo 400 and 373 posi. Car runs great and is fun to drive. Question is It has a hydrulaic comp cam , I have no clue what the lift or duration is or the timming is ? What would be the best guess would be to setting the timming at . I plan to change the pluges with the same type it has and mark and set the timming to where it is at . It starts right off every time I start it so it seams to be close. And as for setting the valves I plan to adj them at 0 lash plus a quater turn at top dead center both exhaust and intake. Any extra advice would be helpful.:

·
Premium Member
19,668 Posts
I bought a 55 BelAir pro street with a 427 cu.in. with a turbo 400 and 373 posi. Car runs great and is fun to drive. Question is It has a hydrulaic comp cam , I have no clue what the lift or duration is or the timming is ? What would be the best guess would be to setting the timming at . I plan to change the pluges with the same type it has and mark and set the timming to where it is at . It starts right off every time I start it so it seams to be close. And as for setting the valves I plan to adj them at 0 lash plus a quater turn at top dead center both exhaust and intake. Any extra advice would be helpful.:
:confused0006: What distrubutor?ignition does it hav ? Compression on 427 ?
First Id go ahead and put total timming at 36 degrees @ 2800rpm, dont worry about initial now.And see how motor likes it, as in performance, pinging :eek:
U might hav to re set up dizzy , depends how its set up now, as in springs/weight and bushing.
keep us posted

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Im with Randy also..put a timing tape around the balancer and see where your total is..36 degree's will probably be the sweet spot:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice, it has a MSD ing and distubritor . I will set it at 36 and see how it likes it.

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,553 Posts
comp cams lifters seem to be a little noisy if you set them up loose. go at least 1/2 turn and follow the gm procedure for adjusting the vave in order. don't go by tdc for each cylinder as you need to have the lifter on the back side of the lobe to get the most acurate adjustment . and at tdc you can be a little on the lobe . just my 2 cents. :party0031::party0031:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts