Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,

I was wondering if anyone had tried to drop a 455 in a Tri Five. I have access to one and I thought it would be neat. Any opinions/advice?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting! It would definitely surprise people to see a 455 under the hood of a 56 Chevy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hopefully you will get the tranny as they don't always mate to a 350/400 for a chevy. Not sure what the difference is positively but I believe the top two or four bolts don't mate. Check with the Pontiac/Olds/Buick guys. Pretty sure about the Pontiac '400' engine but I'd check behind me for sure.

They are torque monsters and the early ?335 HP didn't act like they only had 335 HP. Maybe so but some were over 500 ft/lbs of torque.

Get ready to move the springs in to get enough tire and put another rear end in.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Interesting! It would definitely surprise people to see a 455 under the hood of a 56 Chevy.
When it comes to Trifives it don't really surprise me what pops out of the hood. The gearheads that build these things have all kinds of ideas and most of them are good. I've even seen f&%d engines in them, but what's the point in that, go figure, but anyway, whatever makes you happy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It'd be easier IMO to go BBC. You could either trade the 455 for something or sell it and buy the BBC. In the end CIs are CIs for the most part. If you're interested in doing wheelies you can get there all kinds of ways.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha I forgot about this thread.

Actually I decided just to keep it a small block. Already have one and I've got a lot of other places that my money needs to be spent, like fixing all the small rust spots!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I just saw from Bill Mitchell Hardcore Racing Products a "limited edition" crated small block Chevy with a cid of 454 rated at 600 horsepower and 575 ft/lbs of torque. That's a lot of ponies from a mouse motor. All for only $12,295.00. They're small.....I'll take two!

55fazzi

1 - 10 of 10 Posts