Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a straight axle and springs from a 50 chevy truck but,it is 8 bolt 3/4 ton . Is this the same axle as the 1/2 ton? also are the springs the same dimension. I was hoping to put this under my 55.Thanks

·
RIP: 12-31-2011
2,893 Posts
I believe it's the same as a half ton axle but with more leafs in the springs. The big difference was the brakes and in the rear of the truck where the weight was carried. I'm sure someone who is more versed than me will have a deffinitive answer for you..
Rick

·
Registered
227 Posts
I believe the 3/4 ton axle uses bigger king pins and bearings, which kinda limits your brake options. ICBW......

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have an axle out of a 53 chevy truck and it is two inches to narrow from fitting under my frame. go to the gasser fourm on this site you will find the right recipy you need , they say an axle from a 55-59 chevy series two pick up will bolt right up under a 55 frame . I am in the prosses of looking for the right axle my self. cant find one close to home ,hate to spend alot of money for shipping.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
I tried using a 3/4 ton axle from a 56' pick up and the bearings are bigger. It wouldnt fit with the stuff I got from speedway so I junked it. Picked up a 56' 1/2ton axle and it went together fine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I called around for brakes and found out it wont work so my dad has a couple of 55 chevy 1/2 ton trucks. I will steal one from there,he wont even notice..........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts