Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to all you mechanics/hotroders out there first of all im not a mechanic . i have just bought a 2001 8.1 496 /5 speed allison trany . it is rated at 340 hp/450 lb tq i would like to get about 450 to 500 hp out of it. what is the cheapest way to do that./computer chips/cam/cold air intake/turbo charge/bore/i have been told i can get about 600 hp out of this 496 but im not rich and im not a racer. if you only wanted 450 or 500 hp what would you suggest[im not a mechanic so take it easy on my brain] thanks rusty

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Rusty......I believe I just saw a 496 or 502 build up in stages in the latest Chevy Classics Magazine.....Let me check and get back to you.
ok pops give it to me in dummy language i need some one else to do the up grades thanks rusty

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,379 Posts

·
50,379 Posts
Rusty....Here's an article I found that was in Chevy High Performance magazine....A good read perhaps.....However, a ton of money and it does away with the EFI.

Personally, I would just put a performance chip in the computer and call it a day.....The motor's running fine.....The last thing I'd do is tear it apart....But that's me.....If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

·
50,379 Posts
Will bump this up so it will appear on today's posts for 'ya Rusty.

·
Registered
387 Posts
That topic came up on the LS1tech site. I would swap the cam out to something a little more aggressive. The factory one is really watered down. There was an article in October's (2010) issue of Car Craft magazine where they used a late model 454 (acutal a 460) with peanut heads and dyno the engine at 460 hp. So you could use that as as guide and with your extra cubes you should be pretty close to your target. I'm building a stroker 454 for my 55.
:anim_25:
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conve...-swapped-8-1l-496-ls-motor-into-anything.html

·
Registered
153 Posts
Guys, he is talking about a late model 496 truck engine (8.1) that came in the 2500 trucks which is a totally different animal than the gen V and VI big blocks that we are most familiar with(454 etc.) Its got different firing order,different heads(symmetrical ports), different block........I'm not aware of that many high performance parts available for it besides the items you mentioned (programmer and cold air intake etc.....) It would probably take a camshaft change like Patdade said, and headers (if they make them) to help help get you the numbers you are looking for:tu

1 - 7 of 7 Posts