Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just purchased this matching numbers belair basically from the original owners family.

What is missing from this hole in firewall?
Windshield washer pump?

What is this tank behind drivers inner fender?

Thanks
Rocky

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
Look Like somebody change the Brake system. I think the hole and the tank was for power brakes.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Someone did remove the P/B unit and left the vacuum (reserve) canister on the car.

·
Administrator
66,188 Posts
:congrats: thats a real neat addition, you have a few options, pwr steering, pwr brakes at one time and its a V8 :tu

1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, what a find!! Wonder if you could help me figure out a problem since you've got an original. Could you look inside the trunk to see if there is a stud with a nut on it that's holding the rear dogleg trim at the corner of the rear window. See this thread and you'll see what I'm looking for. I'd really appreciate it.
http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110510
I took several pics up in that area did not see any nut.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for looking. I'm sure it will be a while until you work on that area, but whenever you do, I'd be most interested to know if there is a clip on that tail area of the dogleg. As for mine, I will probably have to drill into the trunk and use that stud and nut clip.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
That looks like a really nice find! You still have the side chrome and most of the parts. The master brake cylinder would probobly be no good anyhow. It is nice to put on power steering also, mine is manual steering and you really have to work a bit harder to drive the car..

·
Registered
18 Posts
So to get back to the dogleg clip question...I realized it probably wouldn't take more than an hour to get to it. So if you've really gotten curious by now and are wondering if there is clip in there or not, and being a retired Industrial Engineer and so you wouldn't have to figure it out, here is how I would do it.

1. Remove the inner molding around the back window and one of the rear quarter windows.
2. Pop out the rear quarter window by pushing on the outside and pull out from inside. Now you can see the the inside screws holding the outside molding. Remove them.
3. Remove the outside corner moldings from the corners of the back window by unscrewing the nut on the stud from inside the car. Then pop off the lower stainless that overlaps the top edge of the dogleg molding.
4. Now remove the small horizontal molding along the bottom of the quarter window.
5. Now the dogleg is free except for the push clip at the top edge. Gently pry that away and either it can be pulled off by pushing slightly forward toward the front of the car and "unwrapping" it from the rear curve of the window or there will be a clip in the rear which would need to come out. Gently pry around the rear edge to see if it will loosen up a little. Check again inside the trunk to make sure there is not a nut and stud coming through. You pretty much have to lie on your back to see it.

That should do it, so if you've got some time, we'll be waiting with anticipation to hear what happens. (But if you don't have the time, that's OK too.) :happy0045:

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Nice looking body...looks straight and no cancer. Pretty amazing after all this time. That car is going to be one worth restoring. Very solid original. :anim_25:

1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Nice looking body...looks straight and no cancer. Pretty amazing after all this time. That car is going to be one worth restoring. Very solid original. :anim_25:
She has cancer in the floor pans but the braces are solid and some cancer in the eyebrows. The rest including panels doors trunk and rockers are like new. We plan to leave it as a barn find only perserving it as is to prevent further rust. Plan to reseal all the glass and install new seals and felts, only needs a passenger side front window it is cracked. Also plan to install new interior after we replace the floors.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
She has cancer in the floor pans but the braces are solid and some cancer in the eyebrows. The rest including panels doors trunk and rockers are like new. We plan to leave it as a barn find only perserving it as is to prevent further rust. Plan to reseal all the glass and install new seals and felts, only needs a passenger side front window it is cracked. Also plan to install new interior after we replace the floors.
Sounds like a pretty nice car. Pardon me for asking but wouldn't replacing floors/interior/window seals/window disqualify it as "leave it as a barn find" ? I'm guessing what you mean is you will not repaint or fix rusted sheet metal? :anim_25:

1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds like a pretty nice car. Pardon me for asking but wouldn't replacing floors/interior/window seals/window disqualify it as "leave it as a barn find" ? I'm guessing what you mean is you will not repaint or fix rusted sheet metal? :anim_25:
We plan to treat the rust to prevent futher damage but we are not going to repaint the car, We may repaint part of the large surface rust areas on the trunk and top but it will be done to look like it is original like the rest. It will all be be covered with flat clear to finish it.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Barn Find

Overall that looks pretty good. Someone must have changed the air cleaner somewhere along the line, the 55 2BBL air cleaner should look like the attached photo.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts