Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has a square pan with 16 bolts. Its out of a 91 GMC. I know its a 4L60 but how can I tell if its an e. Im going to use it in my 57 3100 n the direction is to go with no electronics I.e a computer

·
Registered
37,251 Posts
The 4L60E has a connector with at least 15 pins, and no TV cable. The 4L60 has a connector with 4 pins. It also has a TV cable. 4L60 and 700-R4 are the same thing. If it's a 91, it's a 700-R4.

With the right lockup kit, no computer is needed for a 700-R4 or 4L60.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,004 Posts
Also the 4l60e will have a VSS as well in the trailhousing and no mech speedo output.

4L60e no TV cable and a large connecter around were the TV was on the other ones.

A is 700r4/4l60
B is 4l60e

The 700r4/4l60 are basically the same with the 60 using wires and computer input to control lock up etc. The some of the later 86 up 700r4 units even had the 30sp upgraded inputs like the 4l60.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/113_0704_700_r4_transmission/viewall.html

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trying to get photos up but it has a cable on the paddanger side which runs to the throttle body so assuming that's cruise control. I'm not using that so that's getting plugged on the driver side on the housing there's a square connector with three pins. Under the tail housing into a round unit is two pins

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So 4L60 or 700-r4, which are essentially the same thing, what do I do with these two wite connectors and the cable? Just disconnect them and go it will still work? The lockup and overdrive?

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
The 4L60E has a connector with at least 15 pins, and no TV cable. The 4L60 has a connector with 4 pins. It also has a TV cable. 4L60 and 700-R4 are the same thing. If it's a 91, it's a 700-R4.

With the right lockup kit, no computer is needed for a 700-R4 or 4L60.
Not the same thing 700r4 has 27 spline torque convertor and does not have au valve body, 4L60 of the 1987-92 era has aux. valve body and 30 spline torque convertor.

·
Registered
37,251 Posts
markm, you usually have good info but you got some bad info this time.

Early 700-R4s (82-84) have 27 spline inputs, as do all 200-4Rs. The rest have 30 spline input shafts.

GM started putting the auxiliary valve body in 700-R4 in mid 1987. All have the auxiliary valve body for 88-up.

In 1993 GM started calling the 700-R4 a 4L60. It's the same transmission as the 700-R4 - merely a name change.

The 700-R4 torque converter lockup was controlled by the engine computer from the late 80s, but all 700-R4s can have the lockup controlled without a computer.

They converted everything to 4L60E with full computer control in 1994.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,004 Posts

Early 700-R4s (82-84) have 27 spline inputs, as do all 200-4Rs. The rest have 30 spline input shafts.

GM started putting the auxiliary valve body in 700-R4 in mid 1987. All have the auxiliary valve body for 88-up.

In 1993 GM started calling the 700-R4 a 4L60. It's the same transmission as the 700-R4 - merely a name change.

The 700-R4 torque converter lockup was controlled by the engine computer from the late 80s, but all 700-R4s can have the lockup controlled without a computer.

The above is correct! :congrats:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Y'all have a lot of info this is great because I've grown up on mustangs and cummins so I may behind the learning curve. To get back at it, with this being an non "e" trans what do I need to do to make it work?

·
Registered
37,251 Posts
with this being an non "e" trans what do I need to do to make it work?
You'll need a converter if it doesn't have one.

A proper mount and driveshaft/yoke, the trans is 3" longer than a stock one.

You'll need to connect up the TV cable. If you have a carb, you'll need the "corrector linkage" (a small adapter that bolts to the throttle arm), and a bracket to match you carb type.

You'll need to connect up the electrical for the lockup.

You'll need a shifter or shifter modifications.

You'll need some way of connecting up the speedometer.

·
Premium Member
14,045 Posts
Trying to get photos up but it has a cable on the paddanger side which runs to the throttle body so assuming that's cruise control. I'm not using that so that's getting plugged on the driver side on the housing there's a square connector with three pins. Under the tail housing into a round unit is two pins
WRONG. it is not cruise control. THAT IS THE TV CABLE AND IT MUST BE HOOKED UP AND ADJUSTED CORRECTLY OR THE TRANS WILL BURN UP.it controls pump ressure and shift points. You also need to get the 4 prong plug from the donor truck so you can wire up the lock up converter. also make sure you have a good trans cooler.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's the point I'm at.... the motor is in but I have to Fab up a trans mount if I'm going to use those one. I have to do electrical work on this trans even though its not an e trans? Any suggestions with where I'm at this point. Do I ditch this trans and find another? I own this one but also don't wanna track something else down

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,004 Posts
That's the point I'm at.... the motor is in but I have to Fab up a trans mount if I'm going to use those one. I have to do electrical work on this trans even though its not an e trans? Any suggestions with where I'm at this point. Do I ditch this trans and find another? I own this one but also don't wanna track something else down
Look the only thing the plug does is lock and unlock he converter. Locking it reduces heat and lower engine RPM just a little. You want it locked up in 4th for best MPG basically. SO you don't even have to hook it up but why not do it.

You can get lock kits to do this with out a ECM. Very easy. So thing like this
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tci-376600/overview/

You can also get rear trans x members cheap.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/1955-57-Chevy-Transmission-Crossmember-Kits,7180.html

·
Registered
37,251 Posts
SO you don't even have to hook it up but why not do it.
That is not true. 700-R4s cut off the cooling flow to the torque converter and oil cooler when the transmission is in 4th (overdrive) gear. You will burn up the transmission by operating it without a lockup.

Your transmission can be modified to have cooling flow in 4th gear, but this is only done with a tear down/rebuild. Easier to just provide the lock up function.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,004 Posts
That is not true. 700-R4s cut off the cooling flow to the torque converter and oil cooler when the transmission is in 4th (overdrive) gear. You will burn up the transmission by operating it without a lockup.
I thought the later 86 or 88 ones it won't hurt anything other than cause increased heat its just the early ones that you can't run like that?
Its locking and locking around town and low hwy speeds in 4th. As well as being unlocked under high engine load.

Either way I would run it locked up!!!:tu

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I can use this trans by using a retrofit lockup kit? Even though the motor had water in it which is just under the valves and is believed to be condensation still not sure the trans is in good shape oil wasn't burned and it was full...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's awesome thank you! With that kit It appears I wont need to worry about the over drive it will switch automatically. And I still have the bracket that tied the cable to the throttle so I would just reconnect that when.the Carb goes on correct? And also change out the vss to a mechanical one?

·
Banned
2,069 Posts

Must be I cant find anything on this but I now know from reading my 87 GMC Service Manual its still a 700r4. Wiki states under Turbohydramatic that begining in mid 87 they renamed all GM trans and a TH400 is now a 3L80, never heard of that before.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts