Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided on a 4L80E for my 55, with a big block. I have a chance to buy and am looking at a military surplus 4L80E out of a Humvee or Hummer as the add says. It is with out the top bell housing bolt but has the cooler lines far apart as I heard these are more desirable. Just want thoughts or input on using a transmission that is a military surplus. I know I would need a slip yolk
Thank you

·
LS Tech and Moderator
10,464 Posts
I would avoid it. One its probable an early one (not ideal) and two being surplus means it was beat on. The early ones 91-92 had different internal harness yes can be changed but get as new of one you can find as it will have better parts.

I would look for a 97 and newer, better internals and they updated other stuff.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im gonna pass on it,
Thanks for your reply

·
Premium Member
12,438 Posts
Can't help you with your tranny question Sam, but it sure is good to see you back here.

The military has a pretty rigid replacement schedule, so you might be okay with one of those. I've gotten some pretty good military battery pull outs before.
Good luck with it.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
10,464 Posts
Can't help you with your tranny question Sam, but it sure is good to see you back here.

The military has a pretty rigid replacement schedule, so you might be okay with one of those. I've gotten some pretty good military battery pull outs before.
Good luck with it.
Its not maintenance issue its the ones driving it I seen hummers beat to hell. Lol

·
LS Tech and Moderator
10,464 Posts
That's a point I hadn't thought of. Sorta like the rented Shelby Mustangs way back when I guess. lol
Yes but only with people trying to kill you. Lol

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
4l80e choice to use

I am selling my 1500 hp transmission. I sent you an IM Hoghead

·
Premium Member
13,195 Posts
the price on the one posted is cheaper than most core charges. yes it is a 4x4 unit but that could be fixed at rebuild.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dan Good to hear from you. Ive been laying low, Divorce has been a burden on me so I am trying to get the car project going again.
As far as the trans, I will be patient, I was at first gonna try and get it to finish re weld in a new position for the rear cross member.
Thank you Jt

·
Premium Member
12,438 Posts
Dan Good to hear from you. Ive been laying low, Divorce has been a burden on me so I am trying to get the car project going again.
As far as the trans, I will be patient, I was at first gonna try and get it to finish re weld in a new position for the rear cross member.
Thank you Jt
Sorry man, and I knew nothing about that. Last I heard you guys had bought a 'new to you' house. Many of us have been through that mess before, so don't feel all alone.

Good luck with your tranny purchase. If you can, save up some more coin and buy a new one set up just the way you want it. That BBC you're building is going to have some power, so put some good stuff behind it. You'll be miles ahead in the end.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I picked one up tonight, a core 4L80E out of a Van. Its a 2007, of course needs to be gone thru but 1 was able to get it for 185.00. No cracks on the case. It has top bolt hole on the bell housing. More desirable Ive heard especially for LS. I have a 454, Now little by little get some parts for it. It is non 4x4.

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
I picked one up tonight, a core 4L80E out of a Van. Its a 2007, of course needs to be gone thru but 1 was able to get it for 185.00. No cracks on the case. It has top bolt hole on the bell housing. More desirable Ive heard especially for LS. I have a 454, Now little by little get some parts for it. It is non 4x4.
You stole it at that price!

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Pull-a-part gets $79.99 for them if they are still there and not picked through from the batch of guys who are allowed to go through there before they open to the public every day. I don't know how you go about getting a transmission there? Does anyone know? Do I need a couple guys to help or do they help? I thought I've seen them pulling engines for people. The increased weight of the 4L80E could be the last straw for me installing a trans by myself. Just may have to pay one of my non car type friends to get dirty.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
My friend, a Transmission re-builder told me he pays 150.00 at Pick a Part, They are rare birds though since most of the GM trucks and Suburbans Tahoes etc are 1500 with 4L60Es
For me it was easy this way to not have to go to a wrecking yard and do it, I believe they charge more If they pull it as opposed to you removing it yourself.
Most of the ones Ive seen on LetGo or Craigslist are 4 to 5 hundred. In most cases you would have it gone through anyway.
As far as help Tony, you are on your own or you and your buddies. If they help,( the wrecking yard) they charge.
Are you looking for one?

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Oh don't get me wrong, I'd gladly pay $185 for one and not deal with pull a part. They are an hour drive away and then like you said the tranny's are rare. There is no phone number to call and ask. Also there is a truck or two load of guys who have special access before they open the gates, so that lowers the chances even more.

You know I just thought of something, my gal's work dumps their old vans there when they are shot and don't get much for them, maybe I can swing a deal to get a 4L80E for the next mini van they unload there? It's worth a try!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What kind of Vans?
If they are Express Cargo 2500 those are good as they have the 4L80E

·
LS Tech and Moderator
10,464 Posts
What kind of Vans?
If they are Express Cargo 2500 those are good as they have the 4L80E
Any GM full size 2500/3500 van. The 95-02 will have 4L80. The 6.5L and 6.6L diesel (used later) will have a lower stall. The 2003-2009 will have the LS 4l80's as well. The 2010-up are the 6L90's. The 4L85 (same basic trans) was used in some applications above as well. It has better internals and straight cut gears. Some RV's used these transmissions as well.

The 4L80 only came in trucks, SUV's, and fullsize vans in the US. They were used in higher end cars in Great Britain.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts