Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 500 box and a 2004/05 p/s pump on the 6.0 LS engine. [Stock pump].

The CPP site says that the 500 uses a 7/16" tube w/ a 11/16 - 18 inverted flare nut, for the pressure, and the return line is 3/8" and a 5/8 -18 nut.
The stub left in the pump clearly has 3/8" pressure line..[Uses a 16MM o'ring fitting]. The return line is also 3/8" hose.

I'm a bit in the dark here........[NOT unusual!]:rolleyes:
I've got the fittings for the box.. [crimp hyd fittings].
I've not been able to find the correct crimp fitting for the pump..

Maybe easier to just order a hose kit???

·
Registered
37,982 Posts
The hard lines that are crimped to the hose are 3/8" tubing. The standard tube nut for a 3/8" inverted flare has 5/8"-18 thread, and that's what is on the return line. The 11/16"-18 nut also goes on 3/8" tubing, it's just a special oversize nut. In the same spirit as the ones on brake master cylinders. It is mainly an aid for the assembly line and the mechanic so that you don't have to trace out the lines. That of course means you have the right parts in your hands ready to use - which in many cases we don't, we're coming up with a custom hose.

BTW, I thought all 500 boxes use inverted flair, not GM metric o-ring. That aside, a 16mm fitting will screw in the small port, and a 18mm fitting will screw in the big one.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"BTW, I thought all 500 boxes use inverted flair, not GM metric o-ring. That aside, a 16mm fitting will screw in the small port, and a 18mm fitting will screw in the big one."

Rick, the box does have the inverted flares. It's the pressure port on the pump I'm having problems finding a crimp fitting for...

I'm not sure why CPP is saying the hard line feed is 7/16.....Maybe at some time they were...

Thanks for the reply,

·
Registered
37,982 Posts
My guess it was just an honest mistake - somebody had it in their head that was it, so they wrote it down.

There is such a thing as 5/16" automotive tubing, never seen 7/16". If it exists, it's a rare bird.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts