Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it has been a couple months since i posted help about my 605 steering box.
i took ya'lls advice and replaced the 605 with a 500 box and wow what a differance
i just wanted to say thanks for all the helpfull advice i was given from the forum
norm

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,059 Posts
Way to go Norm :):congrats:

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Glad you like it. I was at a guy's house the other day who had converted 605 boxes laying out on the ground in the rain.
This statement hammers home the point that there are no NEW 605 conversions. ALL 605 conversions are used gears, and the parts attached to them to make the conversions are almost always used as well.

The 500 gear is all new and is purpose-cast to fit 55-57 frames, no conversion required. Plus the technology inside the 500 is miles ahead of the 605.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I just put mine on the frame the other day (my car is now where near drivable), and it looks good.

For those that put the aluminum cap on, is there a gasket or anything when you take off the four top bolts and put the new cap on with the new bolts?

·
Registered
499 Posts
I just put mine on the frame the other day (my car is now where near drivable), and it looks good.

For those that put the aluminum cap on, is there a gasket or anything when you take off the four top bolts and put the new cap on with the new bolts?
All that is is a finisher. Just loosen up all 4 bolts and leave the top of the box on and set the aluminum cap down and tighten the allens. All done!

·
Registered
164 Posts
500 Box

My present steering SUCX! Really loose.

I'm looking at an upgrade, anyone have a second to look at this kit and tell me if it's a good kit for me <http://www.classicperform.com/Store/1955_1970_Fullsize_Cars/5557PSU-K.htm>

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
My present steering SUCX! Really loose.

I'm looking at an upgrade, anyone have a second to look at this kit and tell me if it's a good kit for me <http://www.classicperform.com/Store/1955_1970_Fullsize_Cars/5557PSU-K.htm>

Thanks.
Do you have power steering already? If not, you're going to need a lot more than what's in that kit in the link.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Here's a complete kit, with the pump, brackets, pulleys and the shortened column, V8 with stock front engine mount. If you have the original engine you might also need a different balancer. If you have a stick shift on the column you CANNOT use this kit; stick on the floor and all auto trans are OK.

Give me a call at the shop at 972-552-2221.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.