Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im doing a frame off on my 56 hard top and going back with a 500 steering gear and Heidts 2" drop spindles . Setting this up It seems to me the steering gear box Internally stops slightly before the steering arms contact the stop on the lower control arm . Ive got the toe pretty close with a tape measure . Any of you guys run Into this and realistically will It be a problem ? Thanks guys .

·
Registered
35,509 Posts
I don't think it's a huge deal. Just don't hit a curb with any speed with the wheels turned all the way.

The stock steering box definitely has more travel than the p/s box. I measured a stock box at 101° travel and a 605 at 92° when I was curious about this. When I got a 500 box I measured it and it was about the same as a 605. Measured all this when I had a McGaughy 605 and McGaughy dropped spindles. McGaughy had stopped his 605 down to about 75°, which matched his crummy spindles. That was a real mess.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rick . I don't think the problem has anything to do with the steering gear . The gear has a full 3 1/4 turns , which seems about right . I think stock Is 3.5 turns If I remember correctly . The problem appears to me to be the spindles . The steering arms bolt on about 3/4" lower than stock , which gives It more travel to the stop . I thought about putting washers between the spindle and steering arm to space It out , but I think that may create other problems .

Attachments

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
I just weld a piece of round stock on the lower arm contact.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts