Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going through some old photographs the other day I ran across this picture I took of my Uncle Vernon in 1960 with his '51 Studebaker. It's not very pretty, and the gas station sign on the door doesn't help, but it was really fast for its time. It held the E stock strip record at the local drag strip and sometimes he would run it in D stock just for the hell of it and usually won that, too. Notice the 4 trophies lined up on the hood in the picture. This is the car I learned to drag race in when I was about 15.

·
Registered
67,743 Posts
very cool Lloyd, thanks for sharing. :tu

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
A friend of mine had a 51 Studie like that one... His was painted pink and had a SBC for power... Later, Dave

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
:tu:tu

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Like it. Thanks , Mike.

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
8,768 Posts
That's really cool to have the picture to go with the memories.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I loved going to the drags with my uncle. I used to work part time weekends and after school at his Norwalk gas station and he taught me a lot about cars. I was too young to drive at the drags, but I would work in the pits helping him get the car ready and sometimes he would let me drive home even though I didn't have a license. Sometimes he'd take me out to a country road and teach me how to drag race and how to speed-shift a 3-speed column shift. Good memories!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts