Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know I recently purchased a 52 Chevy half ton 5 window truck. This truck sat in a barn for over 20 years. When I towed it home all of the lights on the truck were broken or missing so I am in the process of replacing them all. In 1952, turn signals were not an option yet for the trucks so it has an aftermarket turn signal system added. There are 3 wires run to each tail light assembly. A brake light wire, a turn signal wire and a tail light wire. The new tail light only has 2 wires per side. My question is... Can I hook the turn signal wire and the brake wire to the same wire on the tail light assembly? Thanks in advance for the help..

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
As some of you know I recently purchased a 52 Chevy half ton 5 window truck. This truck sat in a barn for over 20 years. When I towed it home all of the lights on the truck were broken or missing so I am in the process of replacing them all. In 1952, turn signals were not an option yet for the trucks so it has an aftermarket turn signal system added. There are 3 wires run to each tail light assembly. A brake light wire, a turn signal wire and a tail light wire. The new tail light only has 2 wires per side. My question is... Can I hook the turn signal wire and the brake wire to the same wire on the tail light assembly? Thanks in advance for the help..
Probably not the Turn signal would back feed through the brake light and both side would flash.
You sure one wire is not for back up lights?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help.. I did some more research and my after market turn signal switch has a wire running to the brake light switch which prevents this scenario from happening..

Probably not the Turn signal would back feed through the brake light and both side would flash.
You sure one wire is not for back up lights?

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
Thanks for the help.. I did some more research and my after market turn signal switch has a wire running to the brake light switch which prevents this scenario from happening..

If It still back feeds, I guess you could put diodes in the Brake light wire to prevent the back feed.

:anim_25:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice Lugnut... Your diode suggestion was the perfect fix for my application.. The brake lights and flashers are working great.. Thanks again..

If It still back feeds, I guess you could put diodes in the Brake light wire to prevent the back feed.

:anim_25:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts