Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
37,772 Posts
I think what's being challenged here is the ability to cast stainless at that price, especially with the required surface finish. And I agree with that.

It's not about whether stainless would be better, because it would be if it could be done.

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
9,168 Posts
No 'crap' intended, Kal. The issue I was attempting to raise was that 'misinformation' was being passed along as information! Whether that is the case remains to be seen. I'm not saying anything else, but I hope Kal will correct/update his 'information' when he learns more.

·
Registered
1956 Nomad
412 Posts
I will definitely confirm my comments. I do not want to spread misinformation, but I am pretty confident in what I heard from the owner. En email has been sent! In the end I am trying to get people to products. Nobody will buy anything sight unseen, so I am sure whoever is looking for eyebrows will make a call, text, email.. confirm price, material etc.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I think what's being challenged here is the ability to cast stainless at that price, especially with the required surface finish. And I agree with that.

It's not about whether stainless would be better, because it would be if it could be done.

From the picture the side pieces could very well be stainless but the eyebrows are definitely cast and can you cast stainless???? Are these parts that are supposed to be coming out or available now?

·
Registered
37,772 Posts
Stainless steel can definitely be cast using the investment casting process, but it won't have the surface finish required. The surface finish would be more like an intake manifold. I'm not thinking it could be cast using a die casting process (which is what the originals were), but I can't say that for sure.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Cast aluminum that is chrome plated is China's specialty, or one of them. I'll go out on a limb and say it is not cast stainless, way too expensive process for Chinese manufacturing
Plus stainless has more then doubled in the past month or two.

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
Lots of people who DON"T KNOW pass along information, such as that passed along by 'Linda' at Hamlett. They are probably saying 'stainless' because the side trim parts they are familiar with for hardtops and sedans and '56-57 mouldings are stamped stainless. If someone were to make the side parts (Nomad fender and door trim) from thin stainless stamped to the shape, that would be a good part, but Chevrolet/Fisher didn't do that initially because the mold making for so few parts would have been prohibitive. It is even MORE prohibitive today... so I'd encourage people NOT to believe stainless unless you can hold it in your hands and see it fitted to a car. Cast stainless would be perhaps even MORE cost prohibitive.

·
Registered
1956 Nomad
412 Posts
@BamaNomad you claimed misinformation from me, and I got an email from the company. They say stainless, and provided a price. I’d probably trust “Linda” Hamlett before some random dude on the Internet forum about the parts THEY are selling. I am done, did my part. Your turn to confirm these aren’t stainless.
I have zero connection to the people selling parts, just trying to keep those in need with options other than Chinese pot metal, or bad originals.. @jhchevyparts, do you know anything about these Hamlett’s eyebrows in person?

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
Kal, if you knew ANYTHING about '55 Nomad trim, you would have questioned anyone who told you the parts were stainless. Since you don't even own a '55, I wonder why you questioned a vendor about this? WHY not invite them to post to trifive and then we could quiz them directly. OR get photos and post them?

·
Registered
1956 Nomad
412 Posts
As to why I even would inquire... Because I saw they sold them and was trying to GET PARTS TO PEOPLE WHO NEED THEM. I may not own a 55, but I know that these parts are one of the very specific things that can make or break a 55 nomad build. I asked if he resold the ones from Georgia, and he said no, that he gets them made from stainless. Sorry I did not give him 100 questions on the spot while he had other customers at the trailer.

Why the hell are you giving me such a hard time? Let the people with $4,200 take the time to reach out to the people who are advertising a stainless set. I am sure any smart person who knows 55 parts would ask the questions before they paid and have them shipped.

I provided a part, a name, a phone number, and they have a website, email, and Facebook page. Plenty of ways for anyone reading this dumpster fire of a discussion to get the information they need..

In the end, lets get parts to people that are quality.. stainless, brass, plastic, aluminum, whatever... This thread started as an advertisement for an offshore entry into the market.. You posted someone who makes the aluminum ones, we see the brass ones are not made anymore. I shared another option.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Gentlemen. I was original poster , simply that new product was available. . Nothing more.
Then, post #5 happened.
So, Do we, want to wait and continue this conversation till after one of our members actually sees / touches this new product ?
Stretch

·
Registered
735 Posts
Cast aluminum that is chrome plated is China's specialty, or one of them. I'll go out on a limb and say it is not cast stainless, way too expensive process for Chinese manufacturing
Plus stainless has more then doubled in the past month or two.
Hard chrome plating of cast aluminum is not a terribly common application because aluminum is so soft that you will need a thick plating, and even then the item will be subject to easy eggshell cracking.

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
Hard chrome plating of cast aluminum is not a terribly common application because aluminum is so soft that you will need a thick plating, and even then the item will be subject to easy eggshell cracking.
So is aluminum better or worse than 'pot metal' (which the original parts were) In your opinion??

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
Every Cragar S/S wheel ever made has a chrome plated cast aluminum center. BTW, there is a difference between hard chrome plating and regular chrome plating.

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
So is aluminum better or worse than 'pot metal' (which the original parts were) In your opinion??
I would say that zinc die cast would be a better material to chrome plate than aluminum because its more stable. Aluminum expands and contracts due to temperature swings, and could over time fatigue the chrome plating and cause it to lift from the aluminum. Once that occurs, moisture gets in there and causes the aluminum to oxidize, causing further lifting of the chrome plating. Of course, we know that pot metal has pitting issues when exposed to the weather.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
There really needs to be a less expensive option for eyebrows. Who here would run them on their 55 (non Nomad)?

I'm not kidding about 3D printing a composite set and chrome wrapping them to test.

Alternatively, buying a set and building a mold to cast and chrome wrap or dip...maybe 1k or less for a set.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts

Go tell the Chinese that.
All of the chrome masters you see for sale are chrome plated aluminum. They don't do chrome plated cast iron

41 - 60 of 96 Posts