Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
There really needs to be a less expensive option for eyebrows. Who here would run them on their 55 (non Nomad)?

I'm not kidding about 3D printing a composite set and chrome wrapping them to test.

Alternatively, buying a set and building a mold to cast and chrome wrap or dip...maybe 1k or less for a set.
I would put them on my 55 hardtop in a second. I could care less about what they are made out of.
Todd

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
The new (ish) owner of Gene Smith reached out to all of us awhile ago and ask what new parts we would like to see them make. I wonder if anyone asked for 55 Nomad eyebrows and trim?
I asked for 55 grille guard.
Todd
See my post below

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Every Cragar S/S wheel ever made has a chrome plated cast aluminum center. BTW, there is a difference between hard chrome plating and regular chrome plating.
And look at how poor the chrome is on the Cragar S/S. I have an original vintage set on my day 2 muscle car. Can;t even imagine the quality of chrome on a new set today,

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Email sent.

·
Registered
37,772 Posts
I don't think anyone here has mentioned CNC machining the parts out of aluminum. You can buff aluminum to look nearly like chrome. The up side is there is no initial large investment in making the molds.
"The up side is there is no initial large investment in making the molds."

That's right, just a similar continuous expense.

CNC machining of permanent casting molds would have much more possibility to actually be a money making proposition.

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
"The up side is there is no initial large investment in making the molds."

That's right, just a similar continuous expense.

CNC machining of permanent casting molds would have much more possibility to actually be a money making proposition.
My point was, it doesn't require a large amount of capital investment to make these parts. You just need a borrowed '55 Chevy (and/or a set of original parts), Solidworks or other 3D modeling software, and a Faro Arm rental. The CNC path will get you to market faster, because you're not waiting several months for the molds to be made, plus the overseas shipping time, and then more time after that for first article inspection, and God forbid, any needed non-metal safe alterations to the molds, which adds more time (and cost). Most likely, you'll be dealing with an overseas molder, because the mold costs are WAY less expensive, and the molding industry in America is a mere shadow of what it used to be.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Go tell the Chinese that.
All of the chrome masters you see for sale are chrome plated aluminum. They don't do chrome plated cast iron
What chrome plated aluminum parts are you referring too as it is much more labor intensive to chrome plate alumn. vrs. steel. Anodizing or powder coat alumn. is far easier and less expensive with better results. This from US CHROME:"The surface oxide layer of this chemically active metal, which gives it corrosion resistance, makes it a very difficult metal to plate.
This inherent problem is exacerbated by the vast number of alloys offered commercially.
US Chrome has developed specific proprietary pre-treatment cycles to remove the oxide layer from any aluminum alloy resulting in maximum attainable bond strengths of our hard chrome coating."

·
Registered
37,772 Posts
Do you honestly think that a 6 piece set of this trim could be CNC machined from aluminum or bronze and then plated/polished and painted for the prices that have been referred to in this thread? I personally think not. But likewise, some decent permanent mold casting tooling amortized over a reasonable number of sets may not work out either.

If the parts were CNC machined, the cost difference between polished stainless steel and plated aluminum or bronze might be worth investigating.

I don't know anything about the new pot metal set appearing on the market. Some of the alternatives that have never gotten any traction such as the ones from Georgia Pattern and the guy in El Paso appear to have not been all that profit motivated, but rather a labor of love. But the key thing is they've never gotten the traction they need, for whatever reason.

·
Registered
37,772 Posts
What chrome plated aluminum parts are you referring too as it is much more labor intensive to chrome plate alumn. vrs. steel. Anodizing or powder coat alumn. is far easier and less expensive with better results.
Your link appears to be referring to hard chrome, not decorative chrome. Also for the purpose of this part, anodizing or powder coating doesn't get the results wanted by most.

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
Do you honestly think that a 6 piece set of this trim could be CNC machined from aluminum or bronze and then plated/polished and painted for the prices that have been referred to in this thread? I personally think not. But likewise, some decent permanent mold casting tooling amortized over a reasonable number of sets may not work out either.

If the parts were CNC machined, the cost difference between polished stainless steel and plated aluminum or bronze might be worth investigating.

I don't know anything about the new pot metal set appearing on the market. Some of the alternatives that have never gotten any traction such as the ones from Georgia Pattern and the guy in El Paso appear to have not been all that profit motivated, but rather a labor of love. But the key thing is they've never gotten the traction they need, for whatever reason.
You have no idea what the cost would be to CNC the set. And neither do I, but we are just speculating. None of us will know for sure whether CNC milling is viable until the 3D models and drawings are produced, and submitted for quote to an overseas CNC shop, or two. Forget having it done in the USA, the cost would be prohibitive. BTW, I didn't say anything about plating or painting.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
@BamaNomad you claimed misinformation from me, and I got an email from the company. They say stainless, and provided a price. I’d probably trust “Linda” Hamlett before some random dude on the Internet forum about the parts THEY are selling. I am done, did my part. Your turn to confirm these aren’t stainless.
I have zero connection to the people selling parts, just trying to keep those in need with options other than Chinese pot metal, or bad originals.. @jhchevyparts, do you know anything about these Hamlett’s eyebrows in person?
No, I have seen no additional information on these parts. I'm waiting for them as well. Jay

61 - 80 of 96 Posts