Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a supplier for the "12V" Headlights used on the 55's?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Ken

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
I think the 55 headlights had a metal backing on it. I don't know if anyone repops those. ??? It is very rare to find one, and NOS bring high $$$

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
No one person sells them , e-bay your best chance. The first design TIN BACKS can be restored and taken apart, second design which is all glass like todays, if bad cant be repaired . Tin back go for around $100.00 to $150.00
each . later 12V glass units go for $200.00 to $300.00 each and are just about inpossible to find. :D

You see sellers saying 55 used T-3 original , 55 never used T-3 on any GM model that I know of!:wavey:

·
Registered
37,963 Posts
That's the correct info according to an article I have.

The T-3 came out in 1956. Those T-3s are also different from later ones. There were other versions of the T-3 made through at least most of the 60s - my 67 Nova had T-3s on it when I got it. T-3s were the replacements for the 55 steel backs and 12V glassbacks even in 1956. So only "original survivor" 55 style headlights are what you'll practically find. (And even that is not very practical.)

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Just to throw a wrench into the works:

This is an original advertising board from Guide promoting the T-3 Headlight System showing a 55 front grille.

I DO NOT believe that T-3s were installed on 55s during the model year, I think they all came with 12V headlights, the early tin-back version at the beginning, followed by the glass version by the end of production. But I find this particular advert intriguing, only because it seems to contradict what I know is true.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts