Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems this subject has been covered here many times but I'm thicker than most I guess. My car doesn't have door switches and at this moment no wiring from the dome light to anything. The headliner is gone and I can seem to get any power from the "interior lights " wire in the headlight switch module. I think the switch is original with after market wiring. Oh and the plastic module gets smoking hot if I leave the key and lights on. Where to start. Photos as soon as I figure that part out.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,422 Posts
It seems this subject has been covered here many times but I'm thicker than most I guess. My car doesn't have door switches and at this moment no wiring from the dome light to anything. The headliner is gone and I can seem to get any power from the "interior lights " wire in the headlight switch module. I think the switch is original with after market wiring. Oh and the plastic module gets smoking hot if I leave the key and lights on. Where to start. Photos as soon as I figure that part out.
The dome light should have power all the time weather the key is on or off. An orange wire runs to the dome light to supply power. There is a white wire that connects to the headlight switch, that provides a ground, to turn the light on when the knob is rotated all the way.

There is apparently a short circuit on one of the light wires if the headlight switch is getting "smokin' hot". To determine which circuit is shorted, you need to unplug the wires from the switch, then plug them back 1 at a time. After plugging each wire back on, check the corresponding light to see if it works. Here is a drawing of the switch and the wire colors......http://www.trifive.com/garage/55%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/12-6.gif

P.S. The headlight switch has power all the time, wether the key is on or off also.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the picture and response. There were no wires to the light. I added a wire and routed it down by B post into a groove by the door seal and to the white wire labeled "interior lights" on the headlight switch. Do I now need to run another wire to replace the missing orange one to a power supply. Never thought a dome light could give so much grief.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,422 Posts
Thanks for the picture and response. There were no wires to the light. I added a wire and routed it down by B post into a groove by the door seal and to the white wire labeled "interior lights" on the headlight switch. Do I now need to run another wire to replace the missing orange one to a power supply. Never thought a dome light could give so much grief.
The dome light socket should have 2 contacts and 2 wires. The original orange wire was connected to the brake light switch, went through the rear lights connector near the drivers kick panel and to the dome light to provide power. Then the white wire from the dome light followed the same path and connected to the headlight switch to provide a ground for the bulb. The white wire on the switch does not have power, it grounds the dome light to the dash when the switch is mounted. .....http://www.trifive.com/garage/55%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/12-27.gif

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the patience, I've seen you address this type of problem before and your knowledge is greatly appreciated. One more hour and I'm done for the day, now that I've replaced my high quality made in China circuit tester. I think I'm going to get it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts