Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
Well I went to really look the 55 wagon over in my friends barn . :eek: Im bummed out it is rough and I was really looking forward to putting one together . Thats the downside :rolleyes: when I left I told him give me time to think about it and I'll get back to you. After thinking on it for a while the prior deal that I myself offered him look real bad on my end , but hate like heck to go backwards on the deal I made which I wasnt totaly commited to as off yet . I called him and told him my concerns and he said hey I told yoou to look first to make sure .:confused: so he said what do you want to do we came to an unbeleivable deal so far in my favor I would be a fool to let it go no matter what. So it looks like I wil drag it home this weekend .:) I would have taken photos while I was there but I was in shock and figure maybe I should put 20 hours of scrubbing in it before I take any .:eek: Oh the good news is I wanted a 55 and Roger said it was a 56 but looking at it I found it was a 55. Very easy to tell when you finaly know what your looking for .:D Big difference in the rockers and the rear wheel opening is different compared to the 56. :)

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Steve

The worse yours is the better for us to learn with when you start repairing it, please post photo's all the way.

If you got one that didn't need repair that wouldn't be interesting.

Besides you don't trully own a Trifive, until you've cut yourself repairing rusted panels and bleed on it that makes you bond with it faster, and forever.

Good luck and i am happy you are getting your car, Remember the worse it is to start, the better it will look with every hour of work you put into it.

Now, you need to get it home and See if Trifive-Toby approves of it.

Otis:)

·
Administrator
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Guys
Did not think If would get back on line till tomorrow morning , but I as on ebay looking at parts. :) Otis thanks for the incouragement , your right the worse it is the more I post. Funny the part of cutting your self . Did that already reaching in the door skin to see how much damage the bottom had when I dropped the flash lite and tryed to catch it with the wrong hand.:rolleyes:
Mike I have to say I feel a whole lot better about mine after seeing what you had to start with. :D You did a superb job in your resto.
Bruce I do have a big block for it all ready but I dont really have plans to PROSTREET the 55 . I want a daily driver that rain or shine it will hit the road for parts , lunch , or just get back and forth to the shop. Im thinking my son Thomas is coming of age were he may need to have a ride to school and my crew cab is a little large in the rear end for him to go cruising with. I want something to park some were and not worry if some one leans or touches it.
Mike when we spoke of the wagon before I think I left you with the impression it was a nomad, It's not its just a 2dr .So I may remove the rear windows and build a sedan delivery clone. :eek: I dont think I will lesson the value. Well Im inspired the question I have should I use some one elses replacment panels as a testing ground on how well they fit and what is needed to correct or make the go install easier :confused: Or build everything from scratch. Now the are some panels I have to make (just because) and there are others that you can't lay the tooling out on the bench for what little they cost. Let me now what you guys think . Thanks a bunch guys for your input . :)

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
Steve, it's going to depend on price vs time and material on which panels you make and which you buy, in my opinion. I was looking thru Mills panels earlier and some things seem to make sense to buy. As in full rockers selling for 38.00 USD? I would think it would be money well spent not having to duplicate the originals. Other panels seem to make sense to make yourself. The front lower quarter repair panels take a lot of finishing to make them match as they should. The lines and curves aren't what they should be. Besides, most of the time you don't need that much panel. I tell guys all the time to just replace the rusty part rather than cutting a 1/3 of the panel off and having that much area to work out. I have never seen a good patch panel for lower quarters. It's funny that they make real nice full panels. But they get big bucks for them as well. There is a flair out on the rockers that fade just slightly as it reaches the wheel opening on the 55's and the replacement patch panel fades way too fast. Grant it you can't look at both sides at once, but if the car is sitting next to one that has the correct flare, it is somewhat noticeable.

·
Administrator
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Guys
OK Mike must of been a dam good carpenter at one time or another ,:eek: he keeps hitting the nail right on the head . :D The panels you mention are the ones I would shape my self , however the rocker makes no sense to at 38 bucks. I get patch panels all the time from customers and have to do considerable reshaping to make them even resemble the panel its suppose to be . Floors are a tough call if you are doing a 100 point show car they should be exact with no signs of repair . That's not my case here with Shop Rat Delivery <------:eek: great project name. Thanks again Mike this couch session has set me in motion again . :D

·
Administrator
49,658 Posts
Steve i think one thing i`d consider on the floorpans is if you decide to resale it somewhere down the road. Flat or nonoriginal contours might turn someone away from buying it. Just my 2cents worth. Terry.
http://members.cardomain.com/chevman57

1 - 9 of 9 Posts