Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Really could use some help.... I have a 55 I purchased about a month ago, the 605 box had been ground down on the side to make room for the 348 (as well as the cast header bolt. I have purchased a 500 box from CPP and was in the middle of getting ready for the install when I noticed when i turned the wheel to the left or right the centerlink came to rest on the oil pan. The motor is installed back (just enough that the firewall needed a slight 1/4 inch persuasion) so it is not too far forward. All I can think is the pitman and idler arms are from the origional 6 cyl factory install. Below is a picture of the cluge. CPP has a complete steering linkage kit for power steering, will this solve my issue, any other ideas?

:p3:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,888 Posts
Really could use some help......... CPP has a complete steering linkage kit for power steering, will this solve my issue, any other ideas?
Not likely, How is your engine & trans mounted? It is either too low in the rear or too far forward. A dropped center link will probably solve your problem but without more info or pics it is nearly impossible to tell. OL'55 in Doylestown, PA has them. Their part number is; 10-179A for a 2 inch drop or 10-179B for a 3 inch drop and they are sold exchange only. The price is $125 and their number is 215-348-5568.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,691 Posts
A dropped center link will probably solve your problem but without more info or pics it is nearly impossible to tell. OL'55 in Doylestown, PA has them. Their part number is; 10-179A for a 2 inch drop or 10-179B for a 3 inch drop and they are sold exchange only. The price is $125 and their number is 215-348-5568.
Agree totally with Bruce....The 58 and up oil pans (even SBC) were not made to clear the TriFive steering linkage.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thank you for your help, the motor install does not look like an experienced person did it, cluch linkage, steering, motor mounts all need to be reviewed. trying to fight one battle at a time, will post more picks in a bit.

The last picture is of the rear motor mount, looks broken BTW.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,888 Posts
Thank you for your help, the motor install does not look like an experienced person did it, cluch linkage, steering, motor mounts all need to be reviewed. trying to fight one battle at a time, will post more picks in a bit.

The last picture is of the rear motor mount, looks broken BTW.
You are correct, The trans mount is broken and collapsed. I would start there and get them replaced. It might just lift the rear of your engine/trans up enough so you are not hitting the oil pan any longer. Those are stock trans mounts and are available through any good local parts store.

·
Premium Member
14,034 Posts
once you ger the mounts all worked out you could also notch the oil pan for clearence.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
We had to notch the oil pan to install the 409 in my 56. Instead of using the rear motor mounts, we opted out for the trans mount crossmember, we used a Muncie M20. Didn't have to do anything to the firewall, why, I don't remember, it's been a while. I believe the motor is forward and we did not use the standard front motor mount and location.......whew that was a long time ago. Still driving it and loving it...:anim_25:

·
Registered
37,237 Posts
I'm thinking that a 348-409 pan probably has a 9"+ length on the sump just like the small blocks that went in the early 60s cars. The sump is only 6-7" on a 55-57 small block.

So you will need a notched oil pan. You can notch the pan you have. Or maybe a BBC pan will fit, don't know. A BBC pan will be the right length but I don't if the end seals are the same. Some 348-409 guy here knows that answer.

I agree about the engine angle, and new mounts might fix part of that. I have to wonder if the front mounts are too high by the same amount that the rear has sagged.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
I'm thinking that a 348-409 pan probably has a 9"+ length on the sump just like the small blocks that went in the early 60s cars. The sump is only 6-7" on a 55-57 small block.

So you will need a notched oil pan. You can notch the pan you have. Or maybe a BBC pan will fit, don't know. A BBC pan will be the right length but I don't if the end seals are the same. Some 348-409 guy here knows that answer.

I agree about the engine angle, and new mounts might fix part of that. I have to wonder if the front mounts are too high by the same amount that the rear has sagged.
The BBC oil pan will not work, as was stated because of the end seals. You either have to notch the pan or buy a pan from Stef's. They will supply a new pick up and modify the pick up tube at the correct depth. Another thing you could do is get a 2" dropped center link. :anim_25:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts