Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on my 55 for a few months now on and off so I thought maybe one or two of you may be interested to see some pic's.

I am rebuilding to make this car a good reliable runner the car was built in the Oakland plant and the car resided in San Francisco with one owner until 2010 when he sold it to a dealer there.

I saw it when I was looking for a 55 Chevy pick-up but stumbled upon this 4 door for a few thousand dollars, I thought I have always wanted a Tri-Chevy probably for 30 plus years but could never afford the price tag for the 2 door and SC especially when some I had seen still needed quite a lot of work if you looked past all the new shiny paint, and ventured underneath at the chassis etc.

It was nearly midnight and my wife said to me if you are interested then phone him up so after a bit of careful consideration for 1/2 second I phoned up and spoke to Ray the seller for about 30mins and the car was mine. :tu.

I had never imported a car before so I was frightened of getting ripped off and loosing the money but I had no problems having the car bought to the UK as Ray gave me the name of a good agent in London and he did everything his end and the car arrived here in October 2012, I am so grateful to Ray for making this an easy import for me.

I got the car registered with the DMV got my number plates etc drove the car about for a few miles and decided what I needed to do to make it drive how I wanted it too.

These are the things I will be doing to it.
Chassis off resto
350 crate engine
Tremec 600tko .64 5th gearbox
9" strange axle with true trac diff and f**d explorer big rear drum brakes I don't like the weak handbrake with the handbrake in the caliper disc kits.
Bilstein shocks all round
Home fabricated rear tubular shock bar
Home designed and fabricated Watts linkage with the pivot mounted to a home fabricated chassis cross-member and rose jointed there and the arms mounted to pedestals welded to the axle tubes and urethane bushes on that end of the tubes.
Front and rear roll bars mounted front and rear onto home fabricated mounts rose jointed adjustable links, I don't like the mickey mouse links and brackets supplied with the roll bars.
Caltrac bars
Dropped front spindles and disc's
Dual circuit mastercyl and 8" servo
CPP 500 power steering box
Alloy crossflow radiator
Vintage air gen 1V air con kit
Ciadella custom interior kit
Electronic dash unit
New 18 system wiring loom kit
Ididit steering column
Billet specialties steering wheel
Cragar 7 x 17 and 8 x 17 Eliminator wheels and 225x 50 17 and 255x 50 17 yokohama performance tyres
2 x universal electric front window kits
Home fabricated 2.5 full crossover dual exhaust system.

These are the parts I have already got for it plus all new ancillaries for the engine, but unfortunately as you all know there is still a big list of necessary parts and 'love to have' parts still to go.

The pictures will show you some of the work I have done so far, I am carrying out all of the work myself inc bodywork spraying welding etc etc so quite a big process.

Here goes some pic's thanks for still being awake if you reached this point :congrats:
Cheers John

Vehicle Car Asphalt Classic car Sedan

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Coupé

Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part Engine Car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Full-size car

·
Premium Member
15,575 Posts
Nice work John. Your welds are a thing of beauty. You will have your 55 in shape in no time. You will notice a remarkable improvement in handling with all the mods you have done. Keep the pictures coming.:tu:tu:tu

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
:tu:tu

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Sounds like you have a well thought out plan and have the skills to accomplish it. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A few more pictures but I am now having a go with Photobucket, not had much luck in the past so here goes. Final exhaust pictures and bumper mounts.
Also I modified my front top wishbones to move the top ball joint back for 5deg castor angle as I don't want to run to the extra expense of tubulat wishbone set up at this stage. What do you experienced Tri guys think?

If this is all ok I will add some more pictures, but please let me know.

John

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought if you guys are all petrol heads you may want to look at my other project that's on hold until the 55 is done.
My F**d Popular (Anglia in USA) home designed and built full tube frame, front and rear independent suspension, Cosworth LSD in rear VW 4 cyl 20vT engine will have 350bhp SS exhaust with CAT Wliwoods front and rear 9 x 18 rear wheels and 8 x 18 fronts, I will be doing a bit of race track work with it but it will be a street legal fully inspected and registered Hot Rod, not to a lot of peoples taste but I love this type of thing. If any of you want me to delete this no problem. Just let me know please.

John

·
Premium Member
15,575 Posts
I can only speak for myself but great fabrication is always a welcomed treat . You post all you want on the Anglia as well.They were real popular with racers and street rodders just getting harder to find over here.

68,758 Posts
thanks for sharring. nice progress john, looking good. sounds like you have a great wife too. :tu

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I can only speak for myself but great fabrication is always a welcomed treat . You post all you want on the Anglia as well.They were real popular with racers and street rodders just getting harder to find over here.
Thanks for the positive reply about the Anglia, my pictures seem to work now so I have a few more Chevy pictures to post then I am up to date where I am with it.

Cheers john

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for sharring. nice progress john, looking good. sounds like you have a great wife too. :tu
Yes thanks Carl, my wife is getting used to my way of life we've been together for 17 years so it's taken a while. She has realised once bitten with this automotive bug there is no cure :) but she knows when the season starts and we have a street machine we will be out at weekends cruising around and out and about, instead of her stuck in the house and me in the garage.
I have been messing with cars for more than 40 years I have built a few and some race cars circuit and drag but never owned an American car until last October.
Now I can't stop thinking about it :tu the response I have had from the Tri-Chevy community in the UK and USA has been fantastic, I think that spurs you on and gets you more involved ind interested in everyone else's car regardless of style money spent and capability. I have seen some real total basket case Tri's bought back to life which is truly astonishing.

All the best John

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have spent quite a lot of hours reworking the core support for the crossflow radiator and air con condenser, also modifying the splash pan for clearance and re-panneling it in.
I have boxed the core support in all the way round and clearanced some areas for the radiator hose stubbs to come through with enough clearance for the hoses when hot.
I bent up some tube to strengthen up the side extension parts of the top bar as it seemed really flimsy to me bearing in mind it takes all the stress of the front end sheet metal.
I wanted the radiator to be low enough down from the top of the core support so I can duct all the air that comes through the grille through the coolers.
One thing I did notice is the radiator and condenser when sitting in the 6 cyl position is incredibly close to the center grill/bonnet catch support. I m going to alter the bonnet catch and probably put a Bear-claw catch on it with the locking part operated from the dash area.

That's where I am up to now, when I get some more done I shall post again.
Cheers John

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
Are you going to make it Right hand drive? I think that would be cool

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Are you going to make it Right hand drive? I think that would be cool
Hi Pistoncan
No, I have had quite a few lefties and find in a car like this shouldn't cause too much of a problem, plus I can dream for a bit that i'm in the USA :p3:

John

1 - 20 of 227 Posts