Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had it all planned out. :D Was going to replace the aluminum dash trim in my 56. Was considering either the stock 56 "lined" trim, the 55 "bowtie" trim, or even the wood grain trim.

All was well till I spoke with my "better half". :D She likes the aluminum billet trim, so, I started looking.

I have not been able to locate billet aluminum trim with:

1: stock radio opening, AND
2: hole for cigarette lighter.

All the billet trim I've looked at does NOT have the hole for the cigarette lighter.

Is anyone aware of a billet aluminum trim that has ALL the stock "holes" and openings?

TIA.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im kinda well, ole look
like the 55 < 55 "bowtie" trim, > in R 55 :tu
I do too, and that's actually what's in my 56 now. I have the 55 Bowtie trim.

It's old, dull, and looking shabby. PLUS, the PO of my car installed an Auto Custom Sound radio that has the 56 "lined" faceplate. So, it doesn't match.

I want to ditch that absolutely terrible ACC radio too. It's absolutely the pits. It has the worst fidelity I've ever heard.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Dash trim.

Chuck, all that dash trim is thin (too thin in my opinion) and easy to cut with a Dremel tool. I had to cut holes for 2 gauges. None of it fits worth a hoot so when you get ready to install it, make sure you tape around the edges of the dash where it goes to help protect the paint from boo-boos.:anim_25: JIM.

Attachments

·
Registered
571 Posts
hi chuck, i am going with the billit trim, im not worried about the lighter(dont smoke) but will have to cut out for the cd player,:anim_25:

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it's unavailable, I could cut a hole myself. Just wanted to try to use the "KISS" rule, "keep it simple, stupid". :D I could use the old trim as a template.

I want to keep the lighter as a PTO for a cell phone charger, etc.

I have no problems using it that way, but I have read that others have not been able to use their stock lighters.

I know there are 2 kinds of stock lighters, Rochester, and I believe Casco.

Mine is a Rochester.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chuck, all that dash trim is thin (too thin in my opinion) and easy to cut with a Dremel tool. I had to cut holes for 2 gauges. None of it fits worth a hoot so when you get ready to install it, make sure you tape around the edges of the dash where it goes to help protect the paint from boo-boos.:anim_25: JIM.

One of the reasons it's slated for replacement is that I want to touch up the dash with an air brush or a jamb gun. It's pretty scratched up already around the edges. :D

Chuck

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi chuck, i am going with the billit trim, im not worried about the lighter(dont smoke) but will have to cut out for the cd player,:anim_25:
Curious as to how you'll fit a CD player in there?

UNLESS you're referring to a "control head", with the CD player itself mounted elsewhere, i.e., trunk, under the seat, etc.

I barely have room for that crummy Custom Auto Sound radio. Car has Vintage Air.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I MOUNTED A CIG. LIGHTER FOR I-PODS ETC, IN THE GLOVE BOX,KEEPS THE DASH CLEAN. AFTER THAT I BOUGHT A RETRO SOUND RADIO,GREAT SOUND & PIG TAIL PLUG INS IN BACK OF RADIO FOR I-PODS MEMORY STICKS ETC, VERY CLEAN INSTALL,DICK

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
I do too, and that's actually what's in my 56 now. I have the 55 Bowtie trim.

It's old, dull, and looking shabby. PLUS, the PO of my car installed an Auto Custom Sound radio that has the 56 "lined" faceplate. So, it doesn't match.

I want to ditch that absolutely terrible ACC radio too. It's absolutely the pits. It has the worst fidelity I've ever heard.

Chuck
BTW ECKLERS HAS A BILLET TRIM SET WITH RADIO CUTOUT BUT NO LIGHTER HOLE, PAGE 43 OF THEIR CATALOG.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I MOUNTED A CIG. LIGHTER FOR I-PODS ETC, IN THE GLOVE BOX,KEEPS THE DASH CLEAN. AFTER THAT I BOUGHT A RETRO SOUND RADIO,GREAT SOUND & PIG TAIL PLUG INS IN BACK OF RADIO FOR I-PODS MEMORY STICKS ETC, VERY CLEAN INSTALL,DICK

How do you like the Retro Sound radio? That's one of the brands I was considering.

Chuck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts