Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys brand new to the forum and figured I'd ask for some input as i'm soon to be in the market for an IFS setup for my series 2 3100 pickup lots of options out there, which makes for plenty of questions.. real interested in hearing from the guys who have put their kits in as i will be installing. interested in kit quality, ride quality, stance, and ease of installation and good to do business with. who comes out as the best all around choice based on your experiences. Thanks a bunch.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
I am new here too but suggest you also search this forum as there are many posts relating to I.F.S. for these trucks. While looking for a truck myself, I am reading every post in this forum (currently 55 pages into it). There is a wealth of info in here. :)

PS: Many like Heidt's Superride IFS.

·
Registered
635 Posts
"I am new here too but suggest you also search this forum" X2. Search is your friend. The topic has been beaten to within an inch of it's life.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
After market

Jim Meyer, Scotts hotrod, and Heidts Superide are really nice unit if you have the money.
Flatout Engineering's and Progressive Automotive also has a nice a clip that you can use corvette components.
Mustang 2 units - would be my last choice, but its what I could afford.

Doners Cars

GM IFS (Carmaro, Firebird, Monte Carlo, etc. - I like the 78-88 Monte Carlos for 55-59 trucks because the track width. Cheap to start , requires cutting the frame, sheetmetal fitment must be figured out, rides nice, can bag if desired, after market plentiful, and if done right can look factory.

Volare - Cheap to start, no cutting the frame only notching it, rides nice, bulky steering box that makes you offset the frame to passenger side, can not bag as of yet, nice adjustable torsion bar, and easy install.

·
Registered
635 Posts
"Mustang 2 units - would be my last choice, but its what I could afford."

Then the truck is being treated like a stepchild. Isn't C-4 stuff going in that sedan? :sign0020:

Hope you're doing OK.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
"Mustang 2 units - would be my last choice, but its what I could afford."

Then the truck is being treated like a stepchild. Isn't C-4 stuff going in that sedan? :sign0020:

Hope you're doing OK.
I'm doing great and I hope you are also. The interior is looking great on your truck man. Its really nice.

LOL. You are a trouble maker my friend but let me explain. The truck is loved believe me it is.lol

I meant out of the aftermarket kits the standard mustang 2 is cheaper for a reason. I never really liked the upper A arm design on the Mustang 2, but when I did my frame I did not want to do another GM IFS I wanted an aftermarket unit but they were more expensive. After I did my frame I did a buddy's Dakota crossmemeber by industrial chassis and I would have gone that route had I know about the company. You just bought the crossmember and hit the yard for the Dakota's components. After I done his I did a flatout unit for another friend and liked that system also. Same thing you only by the crossmember and you hunt down the components yourself. After doing those to units for buddy's of mine I found I could have done those for the same price as a Mustang 2. Fabbing everything myself for my 55 Sedan will be the same price as a mustang 2.

Here is a pic of the Dakota crossmember I think the company close down. I hope I'm wrong because it was a nice piece.

I added that part about the Mustang 2 because although I'm happy with it I think there are better choice today and I like to share that with people. I always tell others what I would have done differently If I knew then what I know now. There is nothing wrong with a Mustang 2 but man the vette stuff is nice and it can be had for the same price as a Mustang 2.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'm glad you're doing OK. You know, anytime a guy gets a dog and quits working on his truck, I start sniffing for trouble. ; )
That Dakota piece really does look good but I get a rash every time I get near something made by Chrysler.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
The Dakota crossmember is still available. The company doing them is Industrial Chassis. They are in Phoenix. I emailed them earlier and got a pretty quick response from Steve. I think i'm going with that setup for my 57.

www.industrialchassisinc.com

Frank
You will be happy with it its a nice unit and its nice to know they are still available. I can not access the website from my computer so that is why I thought the company went out of biz. By the way if you want your ride low drop spindles are available. If you want you rotors to have chevy bolt patterns just have the rotors holes redrilled.

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
I want IFS for my 57 PU..I've read that Jaguar IFS works well.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Here is a little link for you if you are interested in the Jaguar IFS.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=414496

I took a pic of this truck a couple of years ago and it has a Jaguar IFS installed. I've never used a Jag IFS myself but I know the guys over seas have been using them for years. I wanted to talk to the owner of this truck but he he was on some other kind trip or planet and did not seem receptive to my questions so I left him alone. Some people.lol But as you can see the truck does have a nice low stance.

·
Registered
331 Posts
That truck is super nice... Owner sounds like a piece of work though. I have tossed the IFS idea around quite a bit lately and decided to go with camaro subframe. After seeing a couple different ways of doing it I'm pretty set. My question is about the wheels... Looking at the 17x7 ridler 695's. Says it has a 0mm offset and since I know nothing about wheels can someone tell me if they will work? Thanks and hope not considered thread jacking.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
That truck is super nice... Owner sounds like a piece of work though. I have tossed the IFS idea around quite a bit lately and decided to go with camaro subframe. After seeing a couple different ways of doing it I'm pretty set. My question is about the wheels... Looking at the 17x7 ridler 695's. Says it has a 0mm offset and since I know nothing about wheels can someone tell me if they will work? Thanks and hope not considered thread jacking.
Well I just looked up the wheels and they say on that 17x7 its a +0mm (4" backspace). If the 4" backspace is correct that should work on a 55-59 Chevy truck with a Camaro Clip. I have install clips that are running that offset.

But the best thing to do is take the truck to the wheel shop and find out what backspace you can run or measure your backspace yourself.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts