Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Ive put the Adco 7/8" bar on several cars its like nite and day over not having one, East Coast Chevy has the 7/8" bar for $129.00 and the 1" bar for $139.00
they have the Gene Smith bars with the original type stamped mounts for $199.00

·
Premium Member
7,601 Posts
Bar

Since I have CPP tubular a-arms on the car it only made since to use CPP's 1 " bar to match the tabs already on the a-arms . Mine should arrive tomorrow or Thursday.

·
Registered
1955 210 SERIES, 406 DUAL QUAD ENGINE WITH MUNCIE 4 SPEED
4,457 Posts
Gene Smith looks best and a little more expensive. It is supposed to be a reproduction of the sway bar offered for tri 5 police cars . That is what i installed

·
Registered
1955 BelAir 4-Door Wagon, 350/350
530 Posts
I bought the Gene Smith bar, but haven't installed it yet. I like the quality and strength of the control arm attachment brackets (4 bolts each) compared to the small 2-bolt angle iron brackets supplied with the less expensive kits. There is a lot of stress on these points when you try to hold these heavy cars level... In terms of anti-sway performance, they're probably about the same.

Regards,
John

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies gents its appriciated!!

This 56 is not driven very often-maybe once or twice per month when good weather and maybe once per month in winter when its not raining. When it is driven its not for sport or cornering. When you do corner any faster than a few miles per hour or God forbid a panic manuver a sway bar, I believe, will be a good investment if nothing else than for the safety aspect so I will look into the Addco and CPP versions. I have accesss to a welder so i may weld the brackets onto the a-arms.

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/1955_1970_Fullsize_Cars/CP594U.htm

Marc S

Attachments

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Addco 7/8" on mine. The brackets on the control arms isn't as heavy duty as on the Gene Smith bar, but is more than enough.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have the same one as this

Ive put the Adco 7/8" bar on several cars its like nite and day over not having one, East Coast Chevy has the 7/8" bar for $129.00 and the 1" bar for $139.00
they have the Gene Smith bars with the original type stamped mounts for $199.00

It is absolutely like night and day. I was considering putting one on the rear as well but was not highly recommended.:shakehands:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Where are you at in CA? I just took off my old front sway bar and had to get a new one to work with my tubular a-arms....I think it is 1" or 1 1/8"....it is just sitting in the garage, so let meknow if you are interesed....

-Doug

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where are you at in CA? I just took off my old front sway bar and had to get a new one to work with my tubular a-arms....I think it is 1" or 1 1/8"....it is just sitting in the garage, so let meknow if you are interesed....

-Doug
PM sent

Marc S

·
Registered
111 Posts
I installed Unisteer rack & pinion steering with 2" drop spindles and disc brakes on my 57 Bel Air. I installed 2" lowering blocks on the rear. Does this dictate which sway bar set up I can use?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts