Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, how many of you think or know if your cars came with only one key to unlock and turn on your car? I heard that from factory you would only need one key. I have two original keys. A round and a hex. Anyone have a clue if there had to be a key for each igniton, glove box lock and door and trunk locks, etc. Who knows? Thanks

·
Registered
647 Posts
My Dad's '57 4 door only had one key (my older brother bought it new). I'm pretty sure that's the way the came. Our '57 has 2 one for ignition and one for the trunk and doors, but that's not original. I have also heard that at that time GM only made a few sets of keys and every 6 or 7 one was a master key, I do know that the key to fit Dad's car, fit my buddies '57 coupe, and our football coaches '61 impala, would unlock and start both of them. Go figure.:sign0020:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
All of my locks use the same key. I think that is the way they came. I had a 57 years ago and it was the same.....one key for all.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
My 57 has one key that fits every lock on the car. I think it's original.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,788 Posts
According to the Shop Manual, one key does it all.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I'm pretty sure my first '55 had 2 keys - 1 ignition, and 1 glove box & trunk. May have just been the mfg facility - L (Los Angeles).

My current '55 -S (St Louis) came with several keys. Only 1 looked original, but none worked. I just bought all new locks.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I had two keys. Just had all the locks keyed the same. Cost was $40 and included cutting a few spares. Ign, 2 doors and the hatch.

I think my 1st 55 also had two keys. But that was a long time ago.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
My 57 uses just one key for everything, it is original that way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts