Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I haven't spent any time calling any of the rear axle parts experts / vendors yet, but I'm curious if anybody here knows this...

Is there a drop in replacement EATON (or comparable manufacturer ) POSI avail. (for the '55-'64 carriers) in a 28 or 30 spline (like a 12-bolt)?

I realize the matching axles would have to be used also.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Aubrey says "No". "The 17 spline posi is the only thing avail." With all of the tri-five cars still around, it's too bad some manufacturer hasn't jumped on this.... they could sell an axle and posi kit specific to '55-'64 Chev Pass. Cars... the 28 & 30 spline is much, much stronger than a 17!!

WHAT I SAID ABOVE IS NOT CORRECT

THE PARTS ARE AVAILABLE TO DO THIS CONVERSION TO 30 SPLINE AXLE!!!!!

AND AUBREY BRUNEAU CAN PROVIDE THIS... PLEASE READ BELOW

·
Registered
36,125 Posts
I have to wonder if the side gears from an Eaton differential for an 8.2 10 bolt (28 spline) or even a 12 bolt (30 spline) would fit in the the 55-64 Eaton posi. Maybe biggearhead who posts here would know. But you'd still have to have a set of axles manufactured.

Also, the side gears from a Mopar 8-3/4 Dana posi might fit in a stock 57-64 Dana posi. I think they are 30 spline. Again you'd have to have axles made.

To me, it's a "why bother" thing. The reason I say that is that if you think that the axle shafts will fail, you simply need a better axle assembly from a different car, and then beef it up if needed. I think the only reason to have a really beefed up 55-64 axle is if you have an original 409 car, want to keep the car very stock looking, and are going to beat on it. All others just start with something better.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Aubrey Up Date

I'm Sorry I WAS WRONG - I misinterpreted Aubrey's original e-mail to me.

I just got off the phone with him, and he does in fact offer such a kit that uses NEW 30 Spline Moser Axles
along with a New Dana Power-Lok posi unit that is modified with new / correct / matching 30 spline side gears.

This is all designed to drop right into a '55-'64 Chevy Rear Axle Housing & Carrier.

IMO - this looks to be one He** of an upgrade in eliminating those spindly 17 spline o.e.m. axles...

and Un-Like a 9" Ford, it won't cost $3Grand Plus to do it!!

btw - Aubrey also offers carrier cap girdles, as the orig. brittle cast caps now becomes the weak link in the drivetrain.

http://www.bruneauperformance.ca/409chevyracingposirearendparts.html

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks Jr:shakehands:

I didn't pioneer this adaptation... it was actually done more than 4 decades ago !
Unfortunately, it became lost in the "12 bolt / 9 inch shuffle":rolleyes:

I see these cars ( 5,6,7's ) as pieces of history, and I tend to treat them with respect. To me, unless you're hitting it with excess of 600 horsepower, it quite simply is not necesary to "dis-respect" the rear end !

I manufacture formed steel bearing cap girdles, which ELIMINATE cap breakage. The next step, is the 30 spline axles. There is now available, a reproduction of the PROPER Dana 44 Power-Lok differential unit... which is hand over fist superior to the single-shaft Eaton unit ( there's another as well:confused0006: ).
Simply aquire one of those, or a factory 61-64 unit, and install the 30 spline Dana 44 side gear kit, with corresponding clutch pack.
Moser has made dozens of these axles for me.

put it together, and beat on it !

BTW... yes, I run a 5.13 gear in the 1962 Chevrolet rear-end in my 3650 pound 409 Stocker. To date, the car has had a 1.59 60 ft, and goes through the traps at nearly 123 MPH.
The 5,6,7's, with a good 300+ pounds less weight, are certainly worthy of "respecting" that original rear-end:happy0011:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts