Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Still undecided about buying a 55 or 57 hardtop. Both years are just right on! Anyway, being new to the tri-five years, are the parts readily available for these models in the repro world? If I were to find a good project, what would be the parts that would absolutely HAVE to be there since they aren't reproduced? I know with Mustangs and Chevelles, there are some parts that the aftermarket hasn't made yet and these are the parts that need to be there when you buy a project. Anything like this (windshields, trim pieces, etc) for the tri-fives?
I'll be selling my Chevelle to buy the most car I can, but if the right project comes along before hand I'll jump on it but want to have the knowledge before I plunk down money on something that may not be worth it. Thanks guys!

Cheers

PS: And if anyone in NC has a 55 or 57 hardtop project they want to sell, drop me a note!!

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
I think most sheet metal is reproduced. Although I think 57 is the only year front fenders are made for in repop. Most everything else is available. All three years share quite a few parts and they are available. I would pickup a Danchuk and Classic Chevy catalog and look through them. You may come to the thinking it doesn't really matter about which year.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Sounds like you're looking at the best possible year for being able to find body parts, but you might also think about interior and engine -- I like the advice given above about looking in parts catalogs, but you'd only get an idea of what is available without know what you need. My advice would be to get a car that doesn't need much if any body work, a rust-free chassis, and a working motor....that way you can improvise on the other parts if needed. You should be able to find a 55 or 57 in that condition for under $10k.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, thanks guys. I was thinking of ordering a few catalogs to start off and see exactly what is reproduced and what isn't. I have found a few cars, 57 hardtops, that are mostly complete but without engine or trans. Which that in itself is no big deal, but if I could find a running car it would be all the better. There's a sweet 57 Hardtop a guy keeps outside right around the corner from where I used ot live in VA and I'm going door knockin' tomorrow to see if he's interested in selling. Hope so. Anyrate, thanks again for the advice. I bought my 2 yr old a 55' convertible pedal car from Speedway motors for Christmas and detailed it up with a few paint pens. Looking good and fueling my fire to get a tri five!!!

Cheers

·
Administrator
49,364 Posts
Dave as stated most parts are available and the few that aren`t can be had with a lttle swap meet or e-bay searching. Also get a catalog from H&h Classic in Ark. www.hhclassic.com
Terry

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Terry, I'll do it. I figured as much about the availability of the parts. Much like Mustangs, Chevelles, and the more popular restoration candidates when it comes to finding the parts in a catalog. I'll get a catalog from H&H as well.
Papa Mike, sounds good. I head to the Outter Banks a lot and I think you're in that direction from me. I hit Raleigh then head east.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
SS396Pilot,
Restoration and parts suppliers for the Tri Five Chevy's are everywhere! Danchuk, Classic Performance Products, Ecklers Classic Chevy Etc. If your interested in a complete frame you can look-up Art Morrison and Jim meyer. There are sooooooo many aftermarket suppliers we can't possible name but a small fraction of them. There are sevaral companies that fab complete fiberglass bodies for the 55's and 57's. It's never been a better time to restore or Pro-Street or Hot Rod or go Pro-Touring in a classic chevy! Good luck with your search. Hope your child likes that pedal car!

Tom

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Tom, I just hope he actualy DOESN'T like it because when I get a 57 or 55 he'll want mine when he gets older! I have a lead on a 55 in Texas, and a 57 in VA that I'm looking at this week. Hopefully something will pan out. Sounds like there are a bunch of companies that make the parts so it should be an easy restoration project. That's great! Thanks for the replies.

PaPa Mike, yeah, that's how I go. I'll drop you a note when I'm heading down that way again.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Hey Pilot,
You can bet he's going to LOVE it! Some of my fondest memories are working on the '55 with my now 19 year old son. We spent a lot of time together showing our hot rod at car shows over the summer. He's as proud of the car as I am! If you come across a car for sale here in the Sacramento, California area, I will be happy to check it out and let you know the condition. Happy Holiday's!!!! Happy Hunting!!!!!!

Tom

·
Registered
225 Posts
I think the tri-fives are some of the easier cars to get parts for. I have needed a few for mine and have had no problems finding anything. With all the dealers selling them now most of the prices are very reasonable, not cheap, but reasonable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts