Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everybody I am building a 1958 chevy apache for my father inlaw and am using a 55 frame with total cost involved mustang II front end and 4 link rear. I almost had a heart attack today when i already have the front suspension cross member all welded in by the instructions that TCI gave me and found out the center line for their hubbs is 2" farther forward than the 4x4 front axle that is in the 58 right now. then after closer measurements the 55 frame is 2 and 1/2" shorter past the front spring hole than the 58 and when my father in law put the 4x4 front axle under the 58 he turned the springs around which moved the axle back 2". So I did good following instructions from the kit im just going to have to modify the front bumper brackets and core support brackets to make the body fit a 55 frame.

·
Registered
483 Posts
So it sounds as if it worked out to your benefit as the weight of the engine is now effective moved back two inches!

Without sounding to condescending I would however like to point out something - the 55-59 were Task Force trucks with a 3000 series designation. The Apache line was not introduced until the 1960 model.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
apache line in 1960?

Hey not to sound stupid but if apache didnt come out till 1960 why did they have it on 1958 and 1959 chevy trucks? my father inlaws 58 has had apache on the fenders since his dad bought it new in 1958. ???????:confused0006::confused0006::confused0006:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Can't answer other than to say I have been trounced by collectors and enthusiats myself for the very same thing. And ever since said trouncings I have wanted to vindicate myself and have been actively looking for and not found refuting evidence! I have never seen anything but 3100, or 3200 on the fender of '59 and earlier - and only seen Apache on 60's and later - so I am beginning to agree with the trouncers.

And there IS a Cadillac Crest in the bowtie of the front emblem on my 57 3100...

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
The Apache was introduce in 1958. Before I changed the front of my truck to a 55 clip, my fender emblems clearly said Apache like the pics below. The trucks below are 59's their emblems were different from the 58 Apache emblems. This is what the 58 Apache emblems looked like.

1958: Dual headlights introduced. Hood emblem slightly longer. Fender emblems now shaped like an airplane and remain above the fender crease, close to the cab. Grille radically different. Hood now has a "dip" in the centre.
First year that Chevrolet pickups are given the name "Apache" on their fender emblems. The name would only last through 1961.

http://www.chevytrucks.org/resources/tfguide.htm

·
Registered
483 Posts
You guys are AWESOME - I'ma gonna send a link to the guy who admonished me the hardest with a hearty neener neener neener - ya'll be sure to beat him up for me! And keep the learnin up for me - I love it!

Now then was Apache a specific trim model or were all 1/2 tons apaches?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Here is the complete paragraph from that link I posted. This is what it had to say about 1958 and 1959.

1958: Dual headlights introduced. Hood emblem slightly longer. Fender emblems now shaped like an airplane and remain above the fender crease, close to the cab. Grille radically different. Hood now has a "dip" in the centre.
First year that Chevrolet pickups are given the name "Apache" on their fender emblems. The name would only last through 1961.
Series designation is changed to 31 for 1/2 ton shortbeds, 32 for 1/2 ton longbeds, 36 for 3/4 ton and 38 for 1 ton.
Last year for the Cameo Carrier, which is replaced mid-year with the new Fleetside, which has steel rear fenders instead of fiberglass as used on the Cameos.

1959: Basically the same as 1958, with a much longer hood emblem and missile-shaped fender emblems that read "CHEVROLET APACHE" and the series designation (31, 32, 36 or 38) and which are placed close to the headlights.
Last year of the Task-Force series of trucks. Chevrolet introduced a new style for its 1960 models.

Here is the link again if you would like to email it. http://www.chevytrucks.org/resources/tfguide.htm

From the paragraph above I take it they all the fender emblems said Apache, but series designation is changed to 31 for 1/2 ton shortbeds, 32 for 1/2 ton longbeds, 36 for 3/4 ton and 38 for 1 ton.

·
Registered
11 Posts
does anyone know if 56-57 chevy pickup fenders are a bolt on replacement for 58 pickup fenders. Is it a bolt on swap or is there more to then that

·
Registered
982 Posts
55-57 have 2 headlights, 58-59 have 4. So, it kind of depends on what exactly you mean by bolt-on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts