Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been having problems with my radio reception on my (new to me) 55 210 sedan...

From the outside of the car, are you supposed to be able to "extend" the antenna all the way out and off?

I suspect the antenna itself is just plain broken.

Anyway, I took the kick panel off, unscrewed the antenna cable and pulled the whole antenna assembly out. Putting it all together in my lap, the FM reception improved.

Messing around with it a little more, I found that there was "something" sliding around inside the bigger antenna housing, between the couple and the bottom end. Not sure what that is.

I ended up putting it all back together, zipping it back up and have been enjoying the iPod tunes.

I dont have any explanation other than maybe disconnecting/reconnecting the cable "cleaned up" a little oxidation?

I'm still concerned about the antenna itself. Should you be able to pull it out all the way??

·
Administrator
49,379 Posts
I'm still concerned about the antenna itself. Should you be able to pull it out all the way??
If out all the way means you pull and it comes off of the mast, then no it shouldn`t be doing that.
Terry

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Sounds like you need a new antenna it shoundn't pull out of the housing. Not unusual of that happening on these old cars, moisture gets in and corrosion starts and overtime the mast is eaten away and oneday you go to raise the anntenna up and end up with it in your hand:eek::eek::)

You can get complete replacement antennas, base mount and mast/mounting hardware from several of the vendors for 55-57 that replicate the original or if you just want any old antenna you can find them in car audio stores, auto parts stores, even in the auto sections of Tarmart and Wallyworld.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts