Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at the springfield OH, swap meet last weekend and saw the new 55 asian fenders from restoration world. look pretty good but they do have an extra seem in front that runs between the headlight and parking light opening. just wondering if anyone else has seen them. and what they think of them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
has the seem between grill opening and the headlight opening but it also has a seem down the front more towards the outside edge down the front between the headlight opening and the parking light opening to bad I didn't have my camera.

·
Registered
37,969 Posts
The non factory seam is very pronounced in that photo. In the ebay link, I couldn't clearly tell whether the factory seam was there or not.

Two or more years ago, I heard that the offshore source was having problems forming the area under the headlight. And if you study that area, you can appreciate that it is difficult to form. Maybe that extra seam, or moving it, was their way of getting around their difficulty.

I wouldn't have a problem with it on a modified car, because I'd cut and weld the seam to get rid of it.

Still, it makes you appreciate a factory fender in good shape. And depending on your location, you should still be able to pick one up for less than those go for.

·
Registered
411 Posts
There is also a seam on the other side. Looks like they made the front in two parts.

It's better than 999.00 for the U.S. made and I bet they fit better.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
The non factory seam is very pronounced in that photo. In the ebay link, I couldn't clearly tell whether the factory seam was there or not.

Two or more years ago, I heard that the offshore source was having problems forming the area under the headlight. And if you study that area, you can appreciate that it is difficult to form. Maybe that extra seam, or moving it, was their way of getting around their difficulty.

I wouldn't have a problem with it on a modified car, because I'd cut and weld the seam to get rid of it.

Still, it makes you appreciate a factory fender in good shape. And depending on your location, you should still be able to pick one up for less than those go for.
I agree, weld up the seam and grind it down from the back :>

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i was thinking the factory seam was still there but after looking at the pictures again the other seam is higher looks like its betweem the headlight and the edge along the hood area. i would weld both seams to make it look right

·
Registered
630 Posts
I too saw them at the springfield swap meet. I used to work for restoration world and fit these parts...even before i worked there. With my new job i really dont have the time to do that any longer. I knew they were having a problem with the seam and had seen the prototypes that would split trying to make it in one piece. The seam doesnt bother my too much i looked at them and it wouldnt take much to weld and metal finish out... especially since the "other" new 55 fenders actually are seemed up in that area too, they just finished them out...still need a little help but the tried. I just baught a 55 and another 57 210 sedan, i will run there sheetmetal on both cars. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts