Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone post a picture of an original 55 ballast resistor? I see two different configurations for sale. A real narrow thin one and a shorter wider one.
John F

·
Premium Member
19,669 Posts
Can someone post a picture of an original 55 ballast resistor? I see two different configurations for sale. A real narrow thin one and a shorter wider one.
John F
john
believe if u are using a stock coil you need the 1.8ohm one, not sure on size, cant remember, Im sure its been brought up here @ tri-5
isnt the shorter wider one for a corvette ? I believe

·
Premium Member
13,057 Posts
john
believe if u are using a stock coil you need the 1.8ohm one, not sure on size, cant remember, Im sure its been brought up here @ tri-5
isnt the shorter wider one for a corvette ? I believe
I believe you are right ,,i know the original and the good repro type have a thin blue line going across the body like it should ,,i guess it's how much detail you want,,i took this picture of my set up

Attachments

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,369 Posts

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
blue dot for stock 1 carb engine black dot for 2-4 barrel carbs. Personally I would install an HEI and get rid of the ballast resister altogether unless your building stock.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Danchuks & Ecklers both have them. $5 difference in price and they have a different bracket. Which one is correct?
John F

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
john: Danchuk #099 looks like the original but it does not list the ohms. I am quite certain most of the 55-57 (except for 2 four barrel and F.I.) were 1.8 Ohms.

Ken 57

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Danchuks & Ecklers both have them. $5 difference in price and they have a different bracket. Which one is correct?
John F
It would not surprise me if the resistor either of these places sell didn't look exactly like the pictures on their websites. They most likely get them from the same supplier. The picture of the resistor and bracket on the Ecklers website looks more like the one in my '56. I believe (but I am not 100% sure) the resistor, bracket, and attaching bolt in this picture are original GM parts. The resistor and attaching bolt had the same part number for both 1955 and 1956.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,369 Posts
..........................................Danchuk.....................................................................................Eckler's....................................................................

Looking in the Assembly Manual http://www.trifive.com/garage/55 Chevy Assembly Manual/320-1.gif and he two member photos above, I'd say Eckler's looks more correct. :confused0006:

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
See the cut-out in the bracket. Which one is like original stock that came with the car? Blue stripe on original? Or are these like replacement parts?
John F

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
As per 55copper a few months back...

The original's don't have a second step down cut on the end porcelain near the screw and a round bracket end at the screw mounting hole or show a depression at the top area of the bracket support.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
55 original design has no (U) cut out or color line or step down. This is correct for 55 vette and car

original oil cap 55 to 57 in design

Many items are the same as 55 vett like
Gen and pulley 55
Carbs early and late 55
fuel filter 55 57
dip stick and tube 55
Voltage regulator 55
Dist early and late 55
PG carb linkage V8 55
heat risor 55
headlights 55
and many more ! that's why I have to compete with you guys on buying original parts , there are more of you 55 cars guys then 55 Corvette guys looking for parts and buying making it hard for me to buy.

·
Premium Member
13,057 Posts
Learn something new everyday ,so can you tell me what the blue line is for and when it was used ? I love these details ,,thanks

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Was it only used on the vette ? or other GM autos
Corvette and car and on other GM cars quite common to find , that's why you see many for sale. But 55 to 57 is rare to find. Have to fight with you guys when bidding on one that people know the differeance:anim_44:
I tell Corvette people to look under Car for parts not Corvette because the price will go up. You car guys sell cheaper then Corvette guys.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
13,057 Posts
Corvette and car and on other GM cars quite common to find , that's why you see many for sale. But 55 to 57 is rare to find. Have to fight with you guys when bidding on one that people know the differeance:anim_44:
I tell Corvette people to look under Car for parts not Corvette because the price will go up. You car guys sell cheaper then Corvette guys.:rolleyes:
Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts