Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
55 bel air i have solid front bench and bought new front seat belts?? how do you get the belts to go under seat ( in between back rest an seat ) there seems to be some type of bar blocking me from passing the belts between the seat ? ive pushed down an used my knees trying to get my hand through w/o luck does this seat come apart somehow ?where i can lift backrest up 1 inch in or so ? ...believe me ive tried there is no way? to pass them let alone my hand through the seat had to come apart for the upholsterer ?

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts
You should be able to push the belt through, at least I could when I had a bench seat in my 55 hard top.....:tu
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have a 4 door and I needed to remove the bolts that holds the top and bottom halves of the seat together. Once you get the seat belt through and the halves bolted back together, the belt will slide back and forth thru the opening.

·
Administrator
66,188 Posts
I have a 4 door and I needed to remove the bolts that holds the top and bottom halves of the seat together. Once you get the seat belt through and the halves bolted back together, the belt will slide back and forth thru the opening.
Thats probably the only way to get the buckles through :anim_25:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok yes i have a 4 door to but .... where are the bolts located i took the side trim cover off didn't see anything to un bolt ? or loosen ?? can u or somone let me know how to unbolt this 4 door front bench seat :shakehands:

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Front Seat Belts

I agree you probably have to take off the seat back to get the seat belts through that slot. I just recently put mine back together after some major under dash work but didn't think to take pictures of the stages of assembly.

You have to take the side trim off first, they are held on with Phillips screws (2 on bottom front, a couple up the back) and on the drivers side you have to take the seat adjusting knob off (Allen set screw up from the bottom). Then there are 2 little covers sort of underneath held on by 2 Phillips screws (stow them so you know which side they came off of, it is a little tricky figuring out which way the fit if you don't know which is which).

At that point you'll see all the 1/2" head bolts holding the seat back on. There are 4 on each side of the seat. You definitely need a helper to steady the back while you're taking the bolts out and be careful handling the seat back during removal and installation since there are a lot of sharp edges.

As long as all of your screws and bolts are in decent shape it is only about 10 minutes getting the back out and the same to put it back in.

Good luck!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
*4 door bench seat ??

55 bel air i have solid front bench and bought new front seat belts?? how do you get the belts to go under seat ( in between back rest an seat ) there seems to be some type of bar blocking me from passing the belts between the seat ? ive pushed down an used my knees trying to get my hand through w/o luck does this seat come apart somehow ?where i can lift backrest up 1 inch in or so ? ...believe me ive tried there is no way? to pass them let alone my hand through the seat had to come apart for the upholsterer ? any help :p3:

·
Administrator
49,512 Posts
The seat bottom frame raises up in the rear. If you can`t get it worked through you will need to remove the seat shell side covers and Un hook the seat back arm on one side to gain room.
Terry

·
Registered
844 Posts
The bolts are located under an upholstered panel about 6"x6" that is partially covered by the seat shell. I have a photo but I could not seem to upload it this morning. If you send me your email I can send to you.

·
Administrator
49,512 Posts
Terry, yours looks to be a 2 door seat and he has a 4 door seat. Maybe different? Just a thought!I might be wrong,
I know mine is a pic of a 2dr seat but the kick-up is going to be about the same.
Terry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts