Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

321 - 338 of 338 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #322 ·
Not very good, 6.40 in the 1/8 as I was pedaling each pass and on the limiter thru the lights.
A few small changes & I will go test Friday night.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #325 ·
Ron,
That Mcleod was fresh from Mcleod when we put it in period 2 passes and that is how it looked. Both passes were aborted at the 300' mark or less. I put a Boninfante in & it has worked like a champ right off the bat.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Ron,
That Mcleod was fresh from Mcleod when we put it in period 2 passes and that is how it looked. Both passes were aborted at the 300' mark or less. I put a Boninfante in & it has worked like a champ right off the bat.
So just too much HP for the softloc or something else? Clearly that disc is wrecked but is the rest of it repairable? I don't know much about the Mcleod clutch. I just took a peak and the softloc is a pricey little unit. I've been considering trying out a Ram 470cw adjustable for mine so I've done some reading on them but still not sure what I'm gonna do. Everyone says to buy a clutch from Hyatt or Black Magic but it seems crazy that a 11-12 second street car would need that much clutch to keep the transmission alive.

I'm gonna run it again with the Muncie and Centerforce at a Nostalgia race in a couple of weeks. Guess we shall see if it can make two races in a row without blowing up. LOL I found a guy in Alabama with a Jerico. He is checking on shipping costs for someone else but if that guy does not buy it, I will try to pick it up.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #327 ·
Skip the Black Magic. Horrible experiences with them & even worse customer service. You are expected to pay up front & HOPE to have your clutch within 6 months. One of our fellow racers went down that road and is pulling it out this week to go to a Boninfante like mine. Mine was $2500 but honestly worth every penny. I had it in 4 days and it worked flawlessly right away.

On the Mcleod, the puck design is unable to hold and relies on way too much base & counter to compensate for lack of disc surface area. You can see the hub blown apart, that is because of the stupid high pressures they require.
Do it once, do it right & you will tear up way less stuff & be happier.
If you call Boninfante, ask for Rick & name drop me & the Ziffels Super Shifters gang.

·
Premium Member
13,817 Posts
that's one heck of a grocery getter. looks like it just flat out works!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #331 ·
Thank you guys, coming from the both of you that means something. That was only the 3rd passn I still have a bit more suspension tuning to do and switch over to a true slick from the drag radials as our local surfaces are not that good but I just like to prove to people that you can run drag radials on a stick shift car when everybody says that it doesn't work.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sure does sound good Darren! Looked like it lost the tire early. Maybe as soon as it set the front end down? Couldn't figure out how to watch the video is slo mo. I know a few people that are able to get the radial to work with a manual transmission but it is so much easier with a slick from what I can tell. Sick car for sure!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #333 ·
Thanks buddy. I just gotta tighten up the front some & test some more. I got some TT5's for it also though so they might just go on instead.

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Sounded like that clutch never did lock. it was slippin' n' slidin' all the way.
First pass wounded it, second finished it off.😞

321 - 338 of 338 Posts