Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

55 Belair, AKA Dirt Nasty

102K views 693 replies 58 participants last post by  KRUNK !!!! 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought this 55 Belair from another forum member KRUNK over in middle Montana.
He owned the car since the early 70s and it hasn't seen the light of day since 85/86.
It is an excellent start to a great streetcar and it will keep 99% of its original look while getting a handful of major upgrades.
Here are some before and progress photos.

Attachments

See less See more
#243 ·
All filled with fluids & went to start to break in the cam & noticed a large puddle of oil under the car. Wrong oil filter adapter as this is an early 396. Summit has the correct one coming now.

And when did tachs get do expensive? Holy cow. $310 for an Autometer Sport comp is crazy!! Last one I bought was $129. I think I have given 3 of em away too. Lol

#244 ·
Prices on a lot of parts are through the roof. I gave a guy a price on a rebuilt, show quality, Muncie four speed, with the correct Hurst Competition Plus shifter and factory reverse light switch for an early Camaro. No wonder he didn't balk at the number....probably because he'd already priced the parts. The price for just the shifter and install kit is $650 now!! If I would have known that, I would have charged him more money.....LOL !!

#248 ·
I got the new Hella headlights, they should make it a nice view at night.
Fired it up to break camshaft in and remembered why I have always tossed the nylon tubing for oil pressure feed, ugh.
Oh well, get it plumbed in copper or braided tomorrow & then get it cleaned up & finish the cam break in.
Automotive lighting Headlamp Automotive parking light Light Grille

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Fender Classic car Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Glass Teal Windshield Turquoise

#250 · (Edited)
These are the ones I used. They are direct replacement and have the most factory look to them only a little cleaner & more clear.
They come with 55/60 bulbs and I ordered a set of 90/130s also incase I wanted brighter.

#251 ·
These are the ones I used. They are direct replacement and have the most factory look to them only a little cleaner & more clear.
They come with 30/50 bulbs and I ordered a set of 90/130s also incase I wanted brighter.

I went with the Hella ECE/off road/non DOT conversion headlights with my 55. I think these come with 55/60 H4 bulbs. Pretty bright and put out a nice beam. Now those 90/130 bulbs will definitely light things up! I've used those on my Harleys before.
Hella 002395801 Hella Vision Plus Conversion Headlights | Summit Racing

#255 ·
thanks for the info. certainly much cheaper than the LED ones I was looking at.

#271 ·
Sounds great. I had a 396 66 ElCamino with a very similar comp cams and it was great on the street. Idle all day with the air on and had enough low end to start in 2nd gear. I shifted it @ 6,500. Sounds like a real fun cruiser. Thanks for the tip on the headlights. I just ordered a set for my build.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.