Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to pull the gas tank from my 55 Belair Wagon so to replace it w/a new one. However, I just can't seem to get it past the rearend. Any tips??tricks???

Thanks!
Lee

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
It won't come out unless you do one of a couple things. You could disconnect the shocks, disconnect the u bolts to springs and rear end (car on jacks so rear end hangs down), slide rear end forward for access space to take tank out. Or, you could take the spring shackles apart to drop the rear end down.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,704 Posts
Lee...Not a wagon guy....However, I believe the shocks have to be removed to allow the rear end to drop down.....Maybe even unbolt the shackles.

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
I replaced the gas tank in my 55 bel air wagon. I jacked the rear end up about 4 ft off the ground and then removed the rear shackles and took the shocks loose at the bottom and dropped the rear end down. (no tires on the rear end) Tank will slide out then.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys!

After looking at it for about an hour, I was thinking about removing the shocks etc but was hoping there would be an easier way and didn't want to do anything drastic before I had conformation....consider this confirmed, we'll get on it tomorrow.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Wagon Gas Tank

Just removed mine last night. Jack car up Remove shocks on bottom Remove ubolts from rear end/springs pull rear end forward (I used straps to pull & hold in place did not have to even remove the driveshaft Hope this helps

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just removed mine last night. Jack car up Remove shocks on bottom Remove ubolts from rear end/springs pull rear end forward (I used straps to pull & hold in place did not have to even remove the driveshaft Hope this helps
Sweet! I was thinking I was gonna have to remove the drive shaft and wasn't looking forward to that.
I think the ubolts on mine are the original so I started soaking the nuts tonight and plan in it daily till this weekend, hopefully they will come free...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Questions

When you removed he Ubolts, did you have a floor jack or something holding up the rearend so it wouldn't just drop when you removed the nuts?

How high did you have to jack up the vehicle before dropping the rearend?

Where up front did you attach the straps too?

Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
on top?

The rear end sits on top of the springs so it doesn't drop anywhere when you remove the U bolts.
Awesome!!
As you can tell, I'm new at this stuff and know enough to get myself in troubel but wanna learn how to do it and how to do it all right so I be ask-en questions.

Thanks again!!

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
Awesome!!
As you can tell, I'm new at this stuff and know enough to get myself in troubel but wanna learn how to do it and how to do it all right so I be ask-en questions.

Thanks again!!
For me the hardest part was removing the straps around the tank, The carriage bolts on top were frozen solid. I ended up cutting the carriage bolts and rreplacing with new.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tank Installed but no fuel

I finally finished getting my tank installed:) I didn't have to disconnect the drive shaft but did have to disconnect the U-bolts and shocks.

However, now I go to crank it over, there's no gas getting to the carb. The new sending unit has a 3/8" adapter going to 5/16" hose. I hear the fuel pump running but thinking it may of been clogged from the junk in the old original tank (maybe). I can prime the carb w/gas but nothing coming from the pump I hear running.

Any suggestions on how to trouble shot this?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
If you can hear the pump running i would assume it is a electric fuel pump? In the tank or on the frame?

if it is in the tank or on the frame for that fact, remove the line that is coming out of the fuel pump up to your carb and make sure it is actually sucking the fuel out of the tank.

If there is nothing coming out of the pump, then you might have to pull the sending unit again and make sure the pick up tube or the sock is not plugged up.

Rick

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Under the body

If you can hear the pump running i would assume it is a electric fuel pump? In the tank or on the frame?Rick
I just purchased the car so the seller put an aftermarket electric pump under the body about a foot away from the tank.

if it is in the tank or on the frame for that fact, remove the line that is coming out of the fuel pump up to your carb and make sure it is actually sucking the fuel out of the tank.Rick
Will do

If there is nothing coming out of the pump, then you might have to pull the sending unit again and make sure the pick up tube or the sock is not plugged up.

Rick
It's a new tank, new sending unit and new fuel, think the the sock can get plugged?

Thanks
Lee

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
I just purchased the car so the seller put an aftermarket electric pump under the body about a foot away from the tank.

Will do

It's a new tank, new sending unit and new fuel, think the the sock can get plugged?

Thanks
Lee
if the tank and sending unit are all new, then i would assume the pump is bad, it mite be actually running, but not sucking, maybe run a short hose from the suction side of the pump into a coffee can full of gas to make sure the pump is actually sucking before you waste your time removing the sending unit again....

Maybe the crap in the old tank got sucked up into the electric fuel pump...

:anim_25:

Rick

1 - 20 of 34 Posts