Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a leak that was making my right rear tire wet. I thought that it was probably going to be a leaking brake cylinder but that would have been easy compared to what I've run into. It turned out to be a leak from the wheel bearing. I ordered a bearing (Timkin RW507ER), seal and gasket from Summit. I pulled the axle and took it to my auto shop for them to replace. I picked it up, pushed it into place and fastened the flange plate. The axle wobbled in the housing! Upon closer inspection I discovered that the diameter of the new bearing is about 1/8 inch smaller than the housing. I called Summit and the gentleman was very patient and did some searching. All of their rear bearings listed for the car have 507 in the model number and are the same diameter, 2.834 inch which is too small for the housing which is very close to 3 inches. The bearing that was removed from the housing is a " Departure 904262" and is, of course, almost exactly 3 inches. I looked up the "Departure" bearing and it is supposed to be interchangeable with with the RW507 replacement but how can that be. My old Departure bearing is 1/8 inch larger than a new RW507 bearing.
Any Ideas? I have no idea what's going on here.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The N/D bearing 904262 interchanges with an RW307R bearing in my book. Does your differential housing have a drain plug in the center bottom? Sounds like you have a 57 rear in your car.
Are you saying that the 57 does have a drain plug in it? I've had the car 51 years and I put a posi pumpkin in it many years ago but never changed the whole rear end. Since it was 15 years old when I got it there is a possibility that it could have been changed before I got it but I don't know for sure. It had a corvette 327 360 HP motor in it and 4 speed.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,838 Posts
Here the scoop on wheel bearings from the expert...See attached:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,997 Posts
Are you saying that the 57 does have a drain plug in it? I've had the car 51 years and I put a posi pumpkin in it many years ago but never changed the whole rear end. Since it was 15 years old when I got it there is a possibility that it could have been changed before I got it but I don't know for sure. It had a corvette 327 360 HP motor in it and 4 speed.
Yes the 57 rear has a drain plug.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,838 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
BO, in the years before you acquired your car , it was not always driven to Church. 🤓
Especially , after you described the Drivetrain.
My 57’ rear is opposite of yours . We dragged it home after a 19 year Nap.
Tore everything off the frame, ordered parts .
Rear wheel bearings too big for the axle housing.
So, we have a 57’ with a 5 or 6 rear axle 🤔
Stretch

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow. Who would have guessed? That was probably a real head scratcher for a while!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys for all of the information. I would have been lost without it.
I ordered a 57 wheel bearing and it should be arriving today. It is a Timken RW307R bearing and should be totally sealed on both ends as the erroneously installed RW507R was.
Because I want to make sure that this 307 bearing is correctly installed I have a few more questions.
1. Which side of the bearing gets installed facing the drum and does the "O Ring" always end up on the inside or the outside of the bearing.
2. Since the new 55 bearing needs to come off to install the correct 57 bearing, can the 55 bearing be used on another 55 Chevy? I wasn't sure if it may be damaged by pulling it back off.
I may have a line on some new locking rings which might make reusing it possible.
Attached are photos of both sides of a new RW507R bearing for installation reference and a photo of my axle with the incorrect 507 bearing on it waiting to back to the shop for removable and installation of the correct 307 bearing.
Again,
Thank you for all your help.
Bo
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Rim Wood
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Rim Wood
Eye Camera lens Automotive tire Camera accessory Lens
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Rim Wood Eye Camera lens Automotive tire Camera accessory Lens Automotive tire Bicycle part Tread Bicycle tire Bumper

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just an update. I called Timken corporate and got customer service which transferred me to their automotive division. They said that the smooth side goes on the outboard or drum side. That would mean that the grooved side would go inboard or differential side. I was till wondering though if you thought that the new incorrect bearing that will be coming off the axle will be ok to use in someone else's 55 rear end.
The new RW307R bearing was supposed to come yesterday but is now scheduled to come tomorrow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts