Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dash lights just quit, they were working when I bought the car a couple months back. I've checked the fuses, they appear to be OK, but I'll replace them anyway. My question, what is the little switch on the bottom of the dash, just to the right of the steering column? It is a 3 position switch, but I can't see that it does anything . Thanks

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Try checking to see if you have a fuse on your headlight switch. If it is an original and has no fuse, you might have to replace the whole switch.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I dont know about the switch, if its a toggle switch it probably something that was added throughout the years. easiest way to find out is follow the wires that are hooked up to it.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,421 Posts
Welcome to TRI-FIVE!!! Tell us about your 55 and "We Like Pictures".
Try rotateing the headlight switch knob back and forth several times. Sometimes this will clean the rheostat a little and get the dash light dimmer to working, if that's the problem. As Jonathan said, if your switch has ever been replaced, it will have a small 3 amp fuse for the dash lights only.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
"acardon" is right on the money about the rehostat. I had the same problem and had to pull my switch and clean the rehostat wire coil. Moving the switch back and forth didn't do it for me because it was so dirty. I had to scrape it with something like a small knife or tiny wire brush. I don't remember now which, but it went from not working at all to working perfect. Your under dash switch may have been added by someone for fog lights at one time or maybe another speaker for the radio. Hope this may help you a little.

·
Registered
66,282 Posts
:hello: hi ya and welcome. good to have you here. looks like you got the answers you need.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
55 dash lights

Thanks to all for the advice. I've tried most of this, except inspecting the switch. It's a chore to try and trace the wires, someone has spliced a lot of stuff in ( add-on oil pressure guage , amps, and water temp gauges) and there is a jumble of wires and splices to sort through. Anyway, the little switch I asked about looks to be original to the car, painted same color as dash ( it's not a toggle). Bill P. , my car also is not PINK, it's canyon Coral and Shadow Grey. 2 dr hardtop, it's not a restoration, but a very good survivor. Been re-painted and upholstery in 1995, has a 283 Power Pack mated to a 350 trans, also upgraded to disc brakes on front . I've spent a lot of time undercoating the underneath. I want to raise the back end about an inch, will 5 leaf springs do that ? Thanks again to all .

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
gFunder, Sounds like a nice car. The back of mine was sightly lower than the front. I added monroe "coil over shock" gas filled shocks on the rear and it's about 1" or so higher than the front now and makes the car look great. I think back in the 50's folks like the back end down a bit more than the front, but I like it the other way around. I think the original 57's were factory with the rear down an inch or so. I'm sure an extra spring leaf would raise it also.
It don't take much to take out your head light switch and clean it. Pull the light switch knob out as far as it will go, then reach up under the dash and push a little button on the side of the headlight switch and the knob and shaft will come out in one piece. Then take a very small flat blade screw driver and put it in the slot where the knob and shaft came out and unscrew the bezel(sp) and remove the switch, then unplug it from the wireing and take it where you can see it well and clean it, then put it back in. Hope this helps, keep them "not pink" cars alive!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts