Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just brought a 55 Chevy 210 2 door post about six weeks ago. Very nice 55. Has new paint (black&silver), nice Delray black and white interior. 350sb with a 5 speed manual trans. My question is, the frame and everything underneath looks good, but some one has added extra braces to the frame. A 3" by 3" piece of boxed in steel from frame side to frame side above the rear end. Another piece a little smaller under the rear of trans. This all making the frame and ride quite stiff. Were these type of add-ons normally done for some form of racing?
How much would this be a red flag as far as worrying about condition?
I am selling the car now that I have all the issues repaired and cleaned up, but would like to know if these add-ons are a problem.
Thanks, Duke

·
Administrator
49,472 Posts
Duke is the one above the rearend there to bolt the shocks to? If so that is a normal update. Sounds like the one by the trans is added as a crossmember.
Terry

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,017 Posts
It's quite common to add a shock bar to the frame above the rear axle, to attach the shocks and get the upper ends of the shocks off the body. This gives a quiter ride and a stronge mount for the shocks. Also, the transmission tail housing is often mounted to a crossmember to provide a better mount than the original bell housing mount. A stiffer frame won't cause a stiff ride. The springs or bushings usually causes this.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Terry, yes on the shocks being bolted to it. I had just never seen that before. That is why I love this site. I always get a great answer in little time.
Thanks Terry, I really appreciate it.
Duke

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don, thanks for the reply! The car also has adjustable air shocks on rear and I like the rear end up high, so that may add to stiff ride also.
Thanks again!
Duke

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts
Just brought a 55 Chevy 210 2 door post about six weeks ago. Very nice 55. Has new paint (black&silver), nice Delray black and white interior. 350sb with a 5 speed manual trans. My question is, the frame and everything underneath looks good, but some one has added extra braces to the frame. A 3" by 3" piece of boxed in steel from frame side to frame side above the rear end. Another piece a little smaller under the rear of trans. This all making the frame and ride quite stiff. Were these type of add-ons normally done for some form of racing?
How much would this be a red flag as far as worrying about condition?
I am selling the car now that I have all the issues repaired and cleaned up, but would like to know if these add-ons are a problem.
Thanks, Duke

Wow.....love your avatar.....:tu
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
67,707 Posts
those are big +++ duke. :tu

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Mickey. Like your 55! I just can't get 55's out of my blood. I'd like to keep the one I just got, but just don't have the room.

Thanks Carl. Looking at your garage, it looks like you have the same disease I have.

Duke

1 - 9 of 9 Posts