Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Long story short, I work for an automotive shop in a small town in Florida. My boss Rob bought himself a '55 Chevy pickup from a friend who just left it on his yard. Well now my boss is restoring this beautiful automobile. I've been trying to do a huge amount of research due to the casting numbers found all over the parts. Now the engine seems to be a '58-'62 corvette engine... these are all the numbers I have taken down from it.

FI08DB
T1020DB ???
J1160 ???
GM 0774692 ???
H2858MI ???

HEAD
3774692 Block 283
60 cc Chambers
230' 245' 270' 290' Horsepower

The numbers with the question marks are the ones I could NOT find any information on what so ever...

Right now we are just trying to figure out the value of the engine now that it has been fully restored, or what the selling price is, can anyone please help me?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chevy Engine

Long story short, I work for an automotive shop in a small town in Florida. My boss Rob bought himself a '55 Chevy pickup from a friend who just left it on his yard. Who leaves a vintage car sitting in there yard I mean com' on. Well now my boss is restoring this beautiful automobile. I've been trying to do a huge amount of research due to the casting numbers found all over the parts. Now the engine seems to be a '58-'62 corvette engine... these are all the numbers I have taken down from it.

FI08DB
T1020DB ???
J1160 ???
GM 0774692 ???
H2858MI ???

HEAD
3774692 Block 283
60 cc Chambers

The numbers with the question marks are the ones I could NOT find any information on what so ever...

Right now we are just trying to figure out the value of the engine now that it has been fully restored, can anyone please help me?

By the way I know I'm posting this everywhere but I'm just a girl who needs to figure out her car!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Long story short, I work for an automotive shop in a small town in Florida. My boss Rob bought himself a '55 Chevy pickup from a friend who just left it on his yard. Well now my boss is restoring this beautiful automobile. I've been trying to do a huge amount of research due to the casting numbers found all over the parts. Now the engine seems to be a '58-'62 corvette engine... these are all the numbers I have taken down from it.

FI08DB
T1020DB ???
J1160 ???
GM 0774692 ???
H2858MI ???

HEAD
3774692 Block 283
60 cc Chambers

Right now we are just trying to figure out the value of the engine now that it has been fully restored, or what the selling price is, can anyone please help me?
The block is a 283,it was used in model years 1959 thru 1961.The year can be determined by the cast date which is the J1160 you show.That translates as follows J= 10th month or October, 11= 11th day of that month, 60= year 1960.The engine stamp pad info translates as ,F= Flint engine plant, I= 9th month or September,08= 8th day of that month,DB= Powerglide W/4 BBl.You show what appears to be another stamp pad date which if it is stamp pad would be as follows,T= Tonswanda plant,10= 10th month or Oct',20= 20th day of that month,DB Powerglide /4BBL.. there shouldn't be two different stamp pad codes?? My book only goes up to 1959 but your cast date indicates an early 1961 application or possibly a very late 1960.the heads are 283 power pak,the info I found shows them anywhere in the 1959 thru 1964 range, 1.72/1.50.Some of the info is conflicting,more research is indicated.All corvette small blocks were built at the Flint plant thru 1996,so if your stamp pad starts with a T.... that means it couldn't have been in a Corvette originally.good luck

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
All of my neighbors vintage Chevy pickups have Corvette engines in them. I know AT LEAST ONE of them is fibbing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for the confussion

The block is a 283,it was used in model years 1959 thru 1961.The year can be determined by the cast date which is the J1160 you show.That translates as follows J= 10th month or October, 11= 11th day of that month, 60= year 1960.The engine stamp pad info translates as ,F= Flint engine plant, I= 9th month or September,08= 8th day of that month,DB= Powerglide W/4 BBl.You show what appears to be another stamp pad date which if it is stamp pad would be as follows,T= Tonswanda plant,10= 10th month or Oct',20= 20th day of that month,DB Powerglide /4BBL.. there shouldn't be two different stamp pad codes?? My book only goes up to 1959 but your cast date indicates an early 1961 application or possibly a very late 1960.the heads are 283 power pak,the info I found shows them anywhere in the 1959 thru 1964 range, 1.72/1.50.Some of the info is conflicting,more research is indicated.All corvette small blocks were built at the Flint plant thru 1996,so if your stamp pad starts with a T.... that means it couldn't have been in a Corvette originally.good luck
It wasn't in a corvette it was in a truck but it's a corvette engine. The numbers that I put up were on different parts of the vehicle.. I realized how I wasn't clear with it once I posted it.

The only numbers I have from the engine are:
FI08DB

When I did the research it said it was 58-62

I'm glad you straightened out the J1160 number for me because I was all over the web looking for any information on what that could have meant. That number wasn't on the engine though it was on another part.

Do you by any chance know what
GM 0774692 means or H2858M1? I forgot what part those were on but again couldn't find them on the web.

·
Premium Member
16,066 Posts
It wasn't in a corvette it was in a truck but it's a corvette engine. The numbers that I put up were on different parts of the vehicle.. I realized how I wasn't clear with it once I posted it.

FI08DB

I'm glad you straightened out the J1160 number for me because I was all over the web looking for any information on what that could have meant. That number wasn't on the engine though it was on another part.

GM 0774692 means or H2858M1? I forgot what part those were on but again couldn't find them on the web.
According to the casting date you posted it is a 61 engine. IF it was a real Corvette application it will or should have the VIN of the Vette also stamped on the right front block pad. GM started putting VIN info on all the Corvette engines starting in 1960.

·
Premium Member
16,066 Posts
Where would the vin be and what would it consist of?
It would be on the block right in front of the head where you got the DB suffix from. The 61 Vette VIN sequence stamped on the block would be somewhere between 10867S100001 and 10867S110939 or a very close version of these numbers. The block stamping may start with the "S" and not include the previous digits.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts

FI08DB

If you post what specific engine part has which #'s that will help a lot! Where was the J1160 ?The engine will have a cast date and it's on the rear upper portion of the block look below where the distibutor would be.L ook at the heads those should have a cast date on them as well,inbetween some of the valves.that will establish when they were cast.Yes we get that the engine was cradled in the engine bay of a '55 chevy PU... A Corvette engine will have some specific info on it. I don't have a book covering past 1959 but the '59 engine suffix code DB is a passenger car with 4 BBL and Powerglide trans. There is no code for a 1959 Corvette 283 with single 4 BBL and a Powerglide trans. Did your engine have the intake and carb? :anim_25:

·
Registered
1,745 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Engine Part Numbers

The head part number is 3777692. It was only used on 60 and 61 4 barrel passenger cars and 4 barrel ,2 4 barrels and Fuel injection on all 60 and most 61 Corvettes. The date is also on the head. What is that( starts with a letter, then 2, 3 or 4 digits)?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts