Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55 chevy 2 door sedan project. I had cut 1 inch off the front coil springs and installed a 605 power steering gear box. I have a 327 engine in the car. Recently I hooked up the tie rods and rod relay so I could work on the steering colum. The current condition is that the rod relay is hitting the oil pan just enough to cause a clearance problem. Two question that I have: 1) Does anyone know of an oil pan that might be about an inch shorter at the section where the pan is just ahead of the rod relay, and Q2: Does anyone know of a company that might make a rod relay that might have a inch or so bend in it so it will not touch the oil pan? I am running stock drum brakes all around and intend on keeping this.

Thanks!

68,758 Posts
:hello: hi harold and welcome. good to have you here. maybe some of the sponsors here might have something, take a look. :anim_25:

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
Several of us on here have had the same problem. You probably have whatever year your engine is oil pan. If you find a stock pan it will probably work without a hitch. There were several threads showing the stock pan vs the later pans I will try to find a link for you
Gary

·
Registered
37,967 Posts
Most 327s came with an oil pan that has a 9" long sump front to back. Usually this pan will have your center link hitting the pan on turns even if it barely has clearance when the wheel is straight ahead.

The stock 55-57 pan has about a 7" long sump front to back and it clears. You gain 2". So a stock 55-57 pan is definitely a choice.

There are quite a few cars and trucks made from the late 60s on that had a 7" sump also. The early 60s Impala/full size stuff is what to stay away from, and likely what you have.

And you can definitely find an aftermarket pan that will fit too. Most of the Moroso and Milodon pans have a 7" long sump front to back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts