Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 55 chevy truck has color coded harness (org) which is as follows: white, purple,pink,blue, yellow, green. my steering column has gm color code as follows: white, green, yellow,purple, brown, dark blue, light blue.
any sugestions on how to conect them to operate the tail lights and turn signals is appreciate, have the 55-59 truck manual trying to figure that out. my truck is a 55 model 3800. thanks, Richard

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi, I have a 57 Chevy Truck and am doing the samething....My harness has been butchered so Im trying to piece everything back together. I do however have Instructions and diagrams on how to install it on a 1957 chevy truck...I think it may help you...I got it from 1957 Passenger car and truck Accesories Installation Reference Manual. I will see if I can scan the pages for you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
JJ, Just looked at your truck...wow, very nice...love all the cool things youve done with it. I just puchased a 57 a few months back and im trying to decide how I want to build it. What was your vender of choice for quality parts eg. lmc, brothers, thetruckshop, jim carters, etc..?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the info JJ! I will have pics up shortly! Richard, here is a wiring diagram for the turn signals if you still need it. Its for a 1957 Chevy Truck, but should at least point you in the right direction. If you decide to rewire your whole truck...let me know which kit you choose, I may have to do the same thing!

Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mater looks like a solid project...Im still working on my wiring! but if you need anything other info let me know. Does your truck have a factory v8, I just noticed the hood emblem.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Markymark, thanks for posting the turn signal wiring diagram! I got a truck a few months ago that had a ghastly setup in it that I have been returning to stock. It had a 4X4 front axle and a steering column out of a newer (than 56) S10 that had the dimmer and ignition on it. I started by removing those two items, then changing the axle to a stock straight axle and steering setup. I got the ignition back in the dash and got that wiring all sorted out, and believe it or not, the foot dimmer switch took the same plug as the column version. The truck has a new wiring harness in it, and everything is labeled, so that helps a lot.
I used your diagram today and plugged in the wires one at a time and they all work! Now I'll have to cut them out of the pigtails they're in and wire them to the new switch. One question tho, the white wire looks like it shows it going to a 'stop switch' I'm not really sure about that one.
Also, the turn signal head on the column is sloppy loose, is there something I am missing to secure it properly? Surprisingly enough, it is the same size as the back of the only wheel I have to fit it, from a 70's Buick SW! Maybe I can find a Chevy insert for it, what's the chances that they are the same?
All I need to do now is get some wipers working and a horn, and it should be good to go. I think it needs a really good tune up, and should have some quieter exhaust on it too, or I'll probably draw fire if I start it at 5:30AM to drive it to work. :sign0020:
Anyhoo, sorry about the thread jack, and being so wordy, but thanks again for the great info, you saved me countless hours of research.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mater looks like a solid project...Im still working on my wiring! but if you need anything other info let me know. Does your truck have a factory v8, I just noticed the hood emblem.
thanks but no,the hood and lh fender are from another truck...its got the i6...but im really happy with the 6 so far (im into turbo buick v6's)also...:blowtiedb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts