Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking getting a 4-piece chrome grille moulding set for my '55 Bel Air.

I understand that Danchuk manufactures these as well as Gene Smith. Don't know if there are any others. I've been told that Gene Smith has made them longer than Danchuk has.

Anyone have opinions on which is the better quality set? They are priced about the same.
EXPENSIVE. But, I need 'em.

·
Registered
13,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think Danchuck has the stainless one like Gene Smith. That's your best choice.
I talking about the 4-piece moulding set not the grille itself. I've never seen that in stainless, only chrome.

But, now that you brought it up, why do think a stainless grille is the way to go over the chrome one?

·
Registered
37,969 Posts
Do a search on the chrome grilles. Danchuk's chrome grilles are notorious for rusting where the vertical bars cross the horizontal bars. And they are in denial about it. It's my opinion the Danchuk grilled are flash plated after assembly, and any separate parts that touch when assembled don't get plated right there - so they rust right there.

Gene Smith makes stainless grilles instead of chrome plated steel.

As far as the 4 piece grille surround - that is pot metal, and both Danchuk and Gene Smith make them. I've never heard of widespread problems with either one. Unlike the 56 and 57 hood bars, where both Danchuk and Trim Parts pieces have problems.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I just bought a 55 grill moulding set from Danchuk about a month ago. It fits good and has nice gaps on both sides of the hood bar. If you read in the Danchuk catalouge they talk about how they retooled the equipment for the moulding.

·
Registered
13,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all!

It sounds like the best way to go is with the Gene Smith stainless grille and the Danchuk moulding (at least their hood bar portion).

Wow. It's hard to believe Danchuk doesn't do a good chrome job on their grilles. They really brag about the quality in their catalog.
"Our 1955 grille is a beautiful example of American-made excellence. We use only top quality steel and chroming processes. All stamping and assembly is done right here in our California facility."

Rick, I did that search like you suggested both here and over at CT. There are no reports of anyone NOT having rust issues with the chrome grill from Danchuk. However, all the negative reports are a little old now. But, you would think if Danchuk had dealt with the issue, they would have come on here and announced it. You would also think they would want to maintain the best reputation they could especially on a site that they sponsor. Very perplexing.

·
Registered
13,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gene Smith makes a nice grill moulding set as well as a great stainless grill.:)
I'm sold on the GS stainless grille.

However, I've read reports from 2 different people that said the GS top moulding that goes on the hood gave them unacceptable gaps at the ends.
One of those people switched to the Danchuk parts and was then satisfied. The other person kept the other 3 GS parts and re-chromed an original top moulding and then got a good fit.

·
Registered
37,969 Posts
"But, you would think if Danchuk had dealt with the issue, they would have come on here and announced it."

It wasn't 6 months ago they denied the problem. I don't think there is any way in the world they have fixed it.

One reason to think that, if they changed their plating and assembly process, their cost might be higher than the SS grille, and that's not going to work from a business point of view for them or us.

·
Premium Member
16,160 Posts
I talking about the 4-piece moulding set not the grille itself. I've never seen that in stainless, only chrome.

But, now that you brought it up, why do think a stainless grille is the way to go over the chrome one?
Gene Smith would be my choice and absolutely get the stainless grill unless you want to replace it every time it gets wet. :eek:

-Bruce

·
Registered
13,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gene Smith would be my choice and absolutely get the stainless grill unless you want to replace it every time it gets wet. :eek:
-Bruce
Thanks Bruce. Like I said, I am sold on the GS stainless grille. But the 2 reports of problems with the GS top moulding fit have me concerned and make me think about going with the Danchuk on those. Is your experience good with GS on the top moulding part?

·
Premium Member
16,160 Posts
Thanks Bruce. Like I said, I am sold on the GS stainless grille. But the 2 reports of problems with the GS top moulding fit have me concerned and make me think about going with the Danchuk on those. Is your experience good with GS on the top moulding part?
Roger, I would call Gene Smith and ask about the fit you are referring to and see what the response is. I personally have not used one on my 55 but have seen them on several and they do look good. My worry about the Danchuk trim is the quality of their plating. Every piece of their diecast will pit within a year unless you never get it wet. There are members here that have pitting issues with the Danchuk trim and their car is not even on the road yet. What good is a part that fits good but needs replacing or replating within a year?

-Bruce

·
Registered
164 Posts
My recently purchased Danchul Sunvisor Brackets came out of the package with a few pits on them!

If I wanted pitted ones I would keep what I already have.:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts