Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to all you '55 convertible owners. Question for you and I hope it isn't too unfair. I've been looking for a '55 ht/sedan recently and have across many '55 convertibles. More then I thought are out there. The prices seem to be all over the charts. Ranges from$50,000.00 upwards to a few listed at 6 figures. Many are around $55-$60 thousand dollars; closer to the 60. For the purpose of this thread, lets say a '55 convertible is rated at a #2 in condition. Not necessarily a trailer queen but one that can be driven needing just a little cosmetics and TLC. I have no pics to show anyone, but I was curious as to what in your opinion, that price range might be?? How broad a range is it?? Just curious, Carmine.

·
Administrator
63,399 Posts
I too have followed some of the prices and yes they are not steady.
Other members have been fortunate enough to either stumble across a rag top for much less, or know of one locally, there the ones to look out for.
In original run down condition but a driver you would be looking around the 20K.
Problem you have is folks are aware that you could get big dollars $50K plus so these are the wish price that gets thrown around waiting for some bites :anim_25:

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Out of boredom this afternoon, I was looking at '55 convertibles at various sites. Hemmings seems to have a fair amount. They were in the price range of $55,000-to the low 60's. I only saw one that I would have ever considered paying the asking price of $65,000.00 for. The others, no. But this car was beautifully restored. It was just outstanding. It even had some type of paint marks on the coil springs. This owner spared no expense. This would be too much for me. I could never keep it in this condition. Moot point anyway. I'm not about to buy it. I always like to look though, Carmine.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,301 Posts
IF I had a place to put it, a 55 Vert would be my dream car.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I'm with uze on the want factor. I have watched the market over the years and it would be wise to buy up into a good restored 55 convert. . I think restoring one is more or about equal to a Nomad. A local buddy just picked up a 56 Convertible form the original family that purchased it new . It sat for 40 years . I went up to look at it a couple weeks ago as i sold him a set of 8" and 7" ralleys for it. Later that day he had them on and it sure woke up the ole jewel. Sure was nice to see an unrestored original.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,301 Posts

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I look every few days at the bigger selling sites. Not too much for Craigslist. I just don't get a good feeling about them. I think I stated once, prices are all over the charts. Saw one '55 vert with to me the ugliest color combo, looked like the bottom of a babies diaper, and he wanted $115,000.00. Nothing special about it that I recall. Thought for a moment I was on Comedy Central. I think I'll eventually find what I want in the $55,000.00-$60,000.00 price range. I'm looking at one in South Carolina that appears quite nice. Asking price is $59,750.00. It's two tone original green colors, not my favorite. I'm not going to inquire anymore about it at this time. Going to keep looking for a while. But, I have to wonder what his bottom line is??, Carmine.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm still looking and every once in a while, I'll find one that piques my interest. I then make a simple inquiry as to availability. Many times I'm told it's been sold, but they never cancelled the ad. At least they respond and are honest about it. Most recently, there was one in Hemmings that was real nice. Listed for $60,000.00 or best offer. Not surprised it was sold. I'm also looking at '57 verts and they seem to be more plentiful then a '55. I could live with a '57, but I really want a '55. I have to keep reminding myself of that. There are a few '55's out there, nice in the pics, but they just don't appeal to me. I don't like the colors. I'm sure something will come along eventually. Where I live, we just had about 10" of the wettest snow ever, dumped on us. So, I keep asking, what's my rush?? There isn't any, Carmine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts