Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not seen this anywhere in the past. In 1955 I saw a 55 hardtop called a Deluxe with chrome trim around the windows, Corvette mirror mounted on the dash and bucket seats from the Delray panel van instead of the normal bench seat (it was upolstered like a Corvette seat rather than the cheap Delray one). I think it was a column 3 speed. The only external item I recall was "Deluxe" chrome badge probably from a '54 Chevy. Has anyone seen such a car and does anyone have any specs on it? I saw it at the dealer where my grandfather worked in Pasadena, CA in the summer of '55. The dealership is long gone.

·
Registered
37,799 Posts
If this was real, it was a custom or modified car.

The "Deluxe" designation went away prior to 1954 - 52 may have have been the last year for that? Easy enough to put a badge on another car.

All the 55 Bel Air hardtops and sedans had stainless trim around all the windows, so that was probably stock.

The sedan delivery was not a "Del Ray". The "Del Ray" was an option for a 210 2 door sedan, which usually had two tone paint (second color on the roof only), and an all vinyl interior.

The sedan delivery seats to my knowledge did not fold down, so they would be awkward in a 2 door car. And I suppose that an upholstery shop could put just about anything on a delivery seat. Not too many other "bucket" seats were stock in GM cars in those days. Probably the only others in any number were in European sports cars.

Lots of accessories were available at dealers only. A lot of two tone cars were done by dealers, not the factory. To have a dealer take a car a bit farther is not out of the imagination. It could have been a customer car already sold or a car owned by an owner or employee, and shown to generate interest.

·
Registered
68,758 Posts
hi ya and welcome! do you have a trifive, looking for one :confused:. good to have you here ;):D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the responses.

I have moved to Australia and am restoring a 55 sport coupe and thought it would be great to make it like the one I saw back then. I have converted it to right-hand drive since it is a complete frame-off resto. I'm putting the colour back to coral and grey and the exterior will be stock except for slotted mag wheels and a rake (60's street racer style). It has a 327 & Muncie 4 speed and basically no interior so the idea of using Corvette-like buckets appealed to me. Except for the buckets, it is exactly like the '56 I owned in 1962 when I was in college.

In Auz we have to have amber turn signals so I converted the backup lights to use an amber bulb and put two small white bulbs on each side for the backup lights rather than using the aftermarket amber lenses available so I still have both functions.

Again, thanks for all the responses.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts