Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know there are plenty of disc threads on here but none seem to answer my questions.
My 55 has a front disc conversion fitted by a previous owner. It is the Classic Chevy Club kit (Now Ecklers) and has the same part number as the Ecklers kit, 20-41. This is the kit that uses custom brackets onto stock spindles with 11" vented rotors and single piston calipers.
Looking at the Ecklers catalog it shows these kits mounting with the caliper to the rear...mine are mounted to the front.
My problem is that I need to know exactly what parts these kits use?
I have just managed to match the wheel bearings with Timken and the seals are 7934 which match a Vette amongst others.
Are the rotors from a Camaro or Chevelle and what about calipers/pads? I think the calipers are the ones that Ecklers sell but what was the original fitment as I need to buy pads.
Sorry to ask so many questions but matching parts in the UK is not so easy!
I had a wheel bearing seize and snap the spindle so just getting it back together and something seems amiss in the brake on that side.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an invoice here for 1990.
They are def. 11" rotors and I suspect they are probably the 69-72 Chevelle ones but would they have used Chevelle calipers as well?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mark. It's driving fine now but something is not correct with the caliper on the side that went. Although not totally binding there is more drag on that wheel and it's possible to see that the caliper is sitting on a slight twist against the mounting bracket. Looks as if there is a slight twist on the bracket or a bent caliper maybe...when the spindle snapped it bent the caliper mounting pins so somewhat suspicious of that area.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,894 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,668 Posts
Thanks Mark. It's driving fine now but something is not correct with the caliper on the side that went. Although not totally binding there is more drag on that wheel and it's possible to see that the caliper is sitting on a slight twist against the mounting bracket. Looks as if there is a slight twist on the bracket or a bent caliper maybe...when the spindle snapped it bent the caliper mounting pins so somewhat suspicious of that area.
there chevelle, as u mentioned,

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys...very much appreciated. Discovered that the bracket had a slight twist in it which was pulling the caliper across. All straightened now and works fine.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. It's not so easy to match stuff up over here. If we need to order parts we need to get the identity correct or else we end up buying multiple items!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts