Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I cut the holes in my dash today for side factory a/c vents.

Here's the cutouts and the saw I used. It's a 3 1/2 Milwaukee hole saw that I got at Home Depot and it was perfect.

And, here are the factory repro vents installed:

Only a few things to say about how to install them.
Just mark the center of the hole where the instructions say to.
Center punch the mark.
Hold the drill as straight up and down in relation to the dash as you can.
Drill until you expose the vertical seam pinch weld at the top of the hole and stop.
From the back side, cut the vertical seam pinch weld.
Continue to drill until you expose the seam pinchweld at the bottom and stop. You are done drilling.
Cut the pinch weld from the back and remove the cut out.
Do a trial fit and trim the hole a little if necessary.

I used a 1/4" shank carbide burr to cut the inside pinch welds. It was fast and easy.
It's really pretty straight forward and it came out perfect for me. I wouldn't have done anything different if I were to do it again.
Of course, I didn't have to worry about marring the paint since the dash is only in primer. However, had it been painted, it would have been fine.

I hope this will come in helpful to anyone considering this installation.

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
Very good Roger but you forgot something important... Measure twice and cut once:confused0006: Later, Dave

7,082 Posts
Looks great Roger. Where did you purchase the chrome vents and I assume the instructions came with them ? Lloyd

Also thanks much for the additional info on the installation and what you used. Great info.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Looks great Roger. Where did you purchase the chrome vents and I assume the instructions came with them ? Lloyd
Also thanks much for the additional info on the installation and what you used. Great info.
You are welcome and thank you.
I bought them from here:

Pronesti Classics

Yes, they come with instructions. 2 pages that have a diagram for each side.

I was pretty sure that there was only one manufacturer of these, so I searched for the lowest price. I think a company called Unfair Advantage has them manufactured in China. This is the same company that supplies dash bezels and several other parts to Danchuk, Ecklers & etc. The quality seems really good and they have a superb fit to the dash. The vents moved around a little too easy for me but they are easily tightened by bending the wavy spring (that sits behind the ball vent) a little. It disassembles real easy by removing the lock ring on the front.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Very nice!!

I'm still trying to decide if I want to cut my dash, but after seeing how nice and clean those vents look I'm probably gonna go for it.

Thanks for the pictures and tutorial.

Geoff

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Way to go Roger, they look great. I did my 57 that way but there was no pinch seam to deal with. The secret is a good hole saw.
Jim

·
Registered
208 Posts
A/C VENTS

HEY GREAT JOB ON THE VENTS. SO IF I INSTALL VINTAGE AIR IN MY 55 CAN I USE THESE? I SEE YOU BOUGHT THEM FROM GARY PRONESTI I KNOW HIM HE IS A GREAT GUY TO DEAL WITH FOR ALL YOUE TRI FIVE NEEDS.

JOHN:congrats:

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HEY GREAT JOB ON THE VENTS. SO IF I INSTALL VINTAGE AIR IN MY 55 CAN I USE THESE?
Thanks!
Yes, you can use them with Vintage air. Their hoses are a different size than these vents on the back but they make adapters to connect them. Or, could just use duct tape.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Thanks!
Yes, you can use them with Vintage air. Their hoses are a different size than these vents on the back but they make adapters to connect them. Or, could just use duct tape.
On the 57 one side fits the VA the other needs an adapter. I cut down an ABS down spout from Home Depot.
Terry there are deals on eBay for the 57's, that's where I bought mine.
Jim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts